Sunday, October 16, 2011

2011 Whistlestop Half-Marathon

Saturday, 10/15/11
2011 Ashland, WI Whistlestop Half-Marathon


I didn't have my photographer (aka: my sister, Jen) with me this year, so I don't have any pictures from Saturday. The shot to the left is from 2008 when I ran my last full marathon (black leggings/baby-blue top is me); and the trees were in FULL bloom with 100% coloring.

NOT SO this year. All day Friday and throughout the entire race on Saturday, the wind was blowing 15-30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph, so all the leaves were GONE. Thankfully, the race director spoke with Mother-Nature though; the wind was a tail-wind for most of the race. Whew!

The first three miles were over in a blur! My sister-in-law, BethAnn, was also running the half, so she and I paced together, holding between 10:00-10:20/miles. However, I took a pitstop at mile 3, sending her off with a big GOODLUCK wish! She was hoping to improve her current PR of 2:20. {{Which she DID!!!!! Her chip-time was 2:13, so she took 30 seconds off her mile average. Wooohoooo!}}

I, on the other hand, knew all I could hope for was to just finish. Not going to make any excuses, but it is what it is. Two years off in 2009/2010, and mediocre (at best) training for the past 2 months...... I kept my goals realistic :0)

the next few miles also were gone in a blur. There were enough runners to keep your mind busy; watching others' form, listening to the relaxed conversations of those of us in the back-of-the-pack; I really can't remember all that went through my mind. At one point, I remember thinking about what I needed to do for the upcoming weeks in my Junior High math classes with the Wisconsin State tests looming at the end of the month. Funny, huh?

Once I crossed the 8-mile marker, I recall thinking..."What!? 8 miles already?!? This race is going fast!"

I mean....really....the whole thing was just a blur. It CERTAINLY didn't feel like 2 and a half hours of running!!!! I didn't really watch my time/pace too closely -- in the back of my mind, I was hoping to keep my race under a 2:30 Half-marathon, and I was definitely pacing better than what I did on the Paavo course. But as I came into mile 10 at a time of 1:57, with some quick mental calculation, I knew it would be a challenge without my legs having had the endurance training of years past. 11:00/miles for the last 3 miles???? Could it be done?????

Well, take a look at all those low-bumps in my speed graph :/ I was taking my walk breaks and kept staying as strong as I could during my jogging spurts to bring me to the finish.

2:34:55 is my official chip time; so if you take off 1:00-1:30 for my mile-3 pitstop, I'm satisfied with my day.

After catching up with BethAnn and giving her high-5's and hugs for her amazing finish, I shared that I wasn't completely giving up on these longer distances, but my training has to improve. :0)

So, now to update my Running Page:
To date, I've completed three marathons, ELEVEN half-marathons, and too many 5K's and 10K's to count :0)

Happy Sunday Everyone!

6 comments:

Linda Lee said...

Great race Amy! Congratulations

scraphappy said...

Congratulations!!!!! Sometimes the winning is just in being out there running.

Andee said...

WHOOT WHOOT! Way to go Amy! You are so inspiring...I am back on my bike (every day but one this week) and hoping to make that stick. My goal is to be able to go mountain hiking again when it cools off!

Linda said...

Congratulations, Amy! Well done with a very respectable time! Be proud of yourself.
Linda in southern Illinois

Randy D. said...

Very impressive. And the foliage is beautiful. Good for you. Who cares about your time? You did it and should be proud!!

Juliann said...

Just found your space today and I am excited to add another quilter who runs to my list of blogs. I am hoping to put a half marathon on my completed list next year.