Sunday, August 17, 2014

Red Heart Prairie Star progress [Crochet]

I've been continuing to put more time into crocheting lately than quilting.  After spending some time perusing Ravelry Tuesday AM, I was compelled to jump into a new project despite having a few WIPs going.  I swear, my crochet world is slowly starting to look like my quilting world!   But when a project screams and pleads to you to be made, what'cha gonna do?!??!?  
Red Heart's Prairie Star [Red Heart link | Ravelry link | YouTube series] caught my eye.  It reminds me so much of a Lonestar quilt.  One feature I love about Ravelry is the ability to look through projects others had made.  Color combination after color combination, but the original color grouping still pleased me most.  I love greens.
So, I dug through the small stash that I've accumulated so far since my crocheting addiction began last summer...


And I jumped in, full steam ahead.
This is a join-as-you-go project; definitely have grown to like this method if it involved motifs/units that need to be attached.  The joining method took me a bit of stitching and frogging (crocheters slang for removing stitches);  the directions were a bit wordy.  Eventually, the lightbulb went on--duh!  Easy peasy.  I had found the YouTube video series and tuned into the clip that explained the joining method. The footage is a bit dark, but it did verify I had figured out the join correctly.

The motifs have become second nature now, 54 diamonds into the project.  Each diamond takes about 9 minutes to stitch, join, and sew in the ends.  So....54 motifs x 9 minutes = ~8-9 hours of time already invested.

I know there are ladies who set timers for 10 minutes in order to get some quilting/sewing time in.  I figure if I can get at least a couple motifs in everyday, this'll eventually see a finish. :)

4 comments:

Deb A said...

So pretty! Love the colors. Wish I had those in my stash... I'll have to check and see what colors I have since i know I have red heart yarn.... might have to make one. Looks like a great car project while waiting on kids.

JB said...

I love how this one is turning out. Can't wait to see the finished project.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

This is going to be gorgeous. I can't wait to see it finished!!!

Jannette said...

I recognized this afghan right away - I bought the kit from Mary Maxim a few years ago! Every so often I debate starting it, but haven't had enough time to devote to it yet... and now it's fall fair season, so I KNOW that it won't happen until October or later... maybe!
I LOVE your version!