A couple of weeks ago, MIL and FIL came for a visit, partially due to MIL needing to drop off some crib quilts she wanted me to machine quilt for her.
I've quilted some of her hand-embroidered quilts in the past. The first time was the toughest because I struggled with the thought of, "Dare I really quilt over her embroidery?"
I had found only a few images via a google search about quilting over embroidery before attempting it for myself. My biggest concern for quilting over the embroidery, of course, was losing the embroidery in all the quilting, but I don't think that really happened. Another concern was 'catching' the embroidery with the machine quilting foot, but that never happened.
A concern for NOT quilting over the embroidery was whether the non-quilted areas would get all puffy looking in comparison to the quilted sections.
Therefore, in the end, the full pantograph quilting won out. And MIL was satisfied with the results.
I had been putting off the quilting of these projects for her simply because it is SOOOOOO cold downstairs in the basement, specially in my open space where the quilting frame is. At least in my sewing room, I can turn the space heater on, but not so much in the open area.
Therefore, hubby to the rescue this morning without me even asking him to do this. He simply realized that it's COLD down there, and I NEEDED to get going on this quilting projects.
He uncapped one of the venting pipes from the wood furnace that is directly in line with my open quilt-frame space. Yay! It was actually reasonably comfortable while quilting my mini-marathon today.
The first two quilts went smoothly and quite quickly, using a pantograph "Climber" by Meredith England.
But as I unfolded the last two ....
Oh dear MIL. I must must must stress to her again the importance of having at least 2" of extra width on each side for the backing and batting...
These last two.... well.... she kinda gave me zero. In fact, in some spots, the batting almost equated to a -1" span. Ummmmm......
*sigh*But, I did my best, and figured I'd trim off some of her edging if needed...
After breaking three (3) needles and dealing with some minor frustrations on the finishing edge...
They were both finished.
Quilting marathon -- a success.