Saturday, January 17, 2015

Scrappy Random Ripple [Crochet]

Scrappy Random Ripple ~(54" x 65")
I've had some extra time on my hands at home this week due to two of the girls not feeling well :( 

:(  There really isn't a greater helpless feeling than that feeling when you want to wave a magic wand to make them feel better.  But.... that magic wand simply doesn't exist.

Trying to keep my anxiety at bay, I kept busy by putting more rows onto the Random Scrappy Ripple (pattern:  Neat Ripple by Lucy at Attic24).    

Anxiety, you ask?  Gah.  Yup!
I really didn't mind staying home Wednesday with Cassie;  it was an easy day to write up sub plans for;  most classes were in need of a work/practice day after learning a new skill or two on Monday/Tuesday.
I was back at work Thursday..... until I received a phonecall from the school nurse that Candace was fading fast (with a 101 fever).  So, I scrambled some quick notes together for the rest of the afternoon;  scrounged up a sub to cover my afternoon classes, and was heading home.
It's a good thing I stopped in the highschool office before I left though to check out the substitute situation for Friday -- this was a 'just in case' move, per Nurse Kelly's request of keeping Candace at home if her fever didn't break.
Holy Moly!  All five of my 'go-to' substitutes were already scheduled for the day.  But... our secretary (with some input from our Principal) worked her magic and fanagled the substitute schedule.
Planning for a substitute isn't the easiest.  And my 6th period class is of my biggest concern right now.  I wasn't there on Wednesday.  I was at least able to finish up their class period on Thursday.  But....if I were to be gone Friday---what to do with them?  I actually allowed them to give me some input on the game plan.
BECAUSE---I also have an afternoon mtg on Monday; therefore, I won't be with them.  And then again next Wednesday, I'm out with an all-day meeting.  Blah!  Thursday marks the end of the semester, so... it just is escalating a little bit into...."ummm, well... what to do?  What to do?"

So, sure enough....Candace spiked 102 Friday morning.  It's a good thing I spent 3 hours on Thursday afternoon planning notes and videos for my classes.  I forwarded them along to the school secretary to be printed out for my sub.  I updated the websites for each class.  I wrote up a dozen or-so emails to students who were scheduling times with me to reassess some skills.  All but one responded back to me by lunch time;  everyone was able to be flexible and reschedule to Monday before or after school.  I'll tell ya, technology SURE has its advantages!!!

Anyway---so yeah.  I was feeling anxious Friday (yesterday).  It's kinda cumulative of Candace reallllly not feeling well... and me being out of my classroom... and the guilt that comes with being out of my classroom.

**shrug**
Just sharing a little insight into the mind of me as a teacher...


So, anyway.  Once I was able to focus on the crocheting, the anxiety slowly subsided.  Crazy enough, it never really went away.  BUT, I reached a point in the Scrappy Random Ripple where I felt...."It's done."
This afghan was started at the end of November after I attempted to tidy up my living room area of yarn mess.  I had leftovers from other projects scattered around, and I had also purchased some scraps from a local thrift shop.  They seemed like they would play nicely together.
I snipped a small piece from each ball and placed the snippets in a little container.  A die was also placed in the container.  The plan:  I would have one of the girls choose a piece of yarn blindly from the container, and then have her roll the die.  The afghan would grow by the number of rows shown on the die, using the color selected.    Completely random :)


And, of course, with yarn still scattered around (albeit, a bit more organized that in November), it's a perfect idea to start aNOTHER ripple!   ((I realllly do love this pattern!!!!!!!!)

4 comments:

JB said...

I'm sorry to hear about Candace. I hope she feels better today. As far as the guilt/anxiety with your classroom, I can completely relate. After missing the first week in January due to Jo's surgery I had to get all the testing done this week with my kiddos. Even though the quarter ended this Friday (yesterday the 16th), I figured I could still get a little testing done next week if I hadn't finished it all. However, we are off on Monday due to MLK day. I had already requested off for Thursday and Friday before Christmas. So that now leaves Tuesday and Wednesday. We now have a half day meeting on Wednesday for RTI planning which falls during my work time with my students. So I now have Tuesday as my only day to do any unfinished testing. Ugh!!!! And of course, report cards are going home on Friday. Next up, figuring out what I will have to work around for mom's surgery. Of well...c'est la vie!

Judy D in WA said...

I sure hope everyone is over this soon and it skips you!
The afghan is awesome and looks so cozy. What a fun way to create a special afghan.

Winona said...

Your afghan is gorgeous. Thank you so much for the link. I have always wanted to know how to make the ripple afghans. I have lots of leftover yarn. I hope your family recovers quickly from illness.

Candace said...

Hope everyone is feeling better soon, and you are back to your normal lives. You do have together times with the girls, and a lovely afghan to show for it though.