Sunday, June 16, 2024

Back in the saddle - new sewing spot along with some Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Four years since the last entry, which can certainly be considered a long time despite how quickly the passing of that time now seems.  "Life happens" is an old adage and perhaps too overused as a simple excuse of one's absence, however... life has certainly been happening.  All three girls have become young adults with the baby having just graduated last month. What I've missed most about blogging is having everything documented, and there'll be time for catching up, but let's first focus on the most recent changes and updates.

The girls' bedrooms haven't been taken over, BUT the loft area was cleared of most items and transformed into my sewing/crafting space.  Standing atop the staircase, the panoramic showcases most of the setup.  
In the process of clamoring two sets of staircases repeatedly these past few days, much of my focus has been the complete overhaul of purging of old fabrics and other items that simply haven't been touched or used quite honestly in over a decade (or two!) and organizing much of what remains.

 
I mean, some of these fabrics were inherited from my Aunt and Gma back in the 2000s when I began quilting.  Both of these fabrics were kept for certain, but there were definitely some I was finally ready to say see-ya to.  Shelf after shelf of partly organized and mostly scattered fabrics were unfolded, pressed, refolded and organized.  Then, this morning, these two completely-forgotten-about totes of gifted fabrics were dragged from their hiding spot underneath my quilting frame.  

Much of the day was yet again spent sifting, unfolding, pressing, unfolding, pressing, unfolding, refolding, and although I don't have shelves and shelves of fabric, I'm pretty tickled at how satisfying it is to have much of what I own now neatly tidied in one location.  The folding of the fabrics was like a riding a bike!  Bonnie K. Hunter's method is engrained forever!
After three full days of working on this new space, a little break was deserved.  I ventured into my blog land to see who all is still around going strong, and was not disappointed.  Angela (soscrappy) continues to be active with her Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  Nicely done!  This month's color:  blue, which I clearly have an abundance of, and even though today isn't Saturday, a few moments were enjoyed with some rather mindless piecing.

Tomorrow, I'll be back to work on the transition as there are still items that need attention in the basement area where my sewing room used to be, and I think another box of fabric is tucked away, hiding somewhere.  Eventually, catching up will occur.  Until then, little manageable chunks will suffice.

5 comments:

scraphappy said...

So excited to see you back online again. Keeping up with it all can be tough, but it does help so much with the keeping track. What a beautiful sewing space! While it is nice for the kiddos to have some space when they come home again, it is also nice to settle in to something more appealing than the basement! The newly folded fabrics look ready to use! Any old UFOs waiting to be crossed off the list?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wait!! What!! your blogging again!!! yay!!!

Jane said...

So glad to see you pop up again. You were very instrumental in the early days of my quilting for which I am ever grateful. Enjoy your sewing space

The Joyful Quilter said...

Welcome back to BlogLand, Amy, and congratulations on your new sewing space! Best of luck with completing the transition up 2 flights of stairs. It's nice that you decided to just back into the RSC. Happy scrapping!

Katie Z. said...

Welcome back! I look forward to your updates.