Saturday, November 19, 2011

Orca Bay action

I spent a good hour auditioning fabrics for Bonnie's Orca Bay Mystery; tried some blues, tried some browns....in the end, I kept coming back to the greens, purples and oranges. I veered away from Bonnie's "sunset" theme and I'm playing around with a name, but that will come at a later date. I only have a few purples shown here, but there is another short stack that will add a bit more of a variety. Yeah....these are still speaking to me; I'm extremely excited to see how these colors will work out.

And as Bonnie wrote in her directions: cut, sew, cut, sew, cut, sew, (and some pressing inbetween)... my morning and early afternoon was eaten up. More than half of the pairs have been cut and sewn; no pressing yet. I had a nice pattern established; starch/press/stack two full strip sets of neutrals/purples... then cut with the EZ Angle* and Companion rulers, and then taken to the machine to be sewn up right away. So, every 10-15 minutes, another 20-22 pairs were added to organized piles.
* the EZ Angle was used to cut off the end pieces of the strips before using the Companion ruler. I figure why waste the small triangles from the ends?!?!!? I've sewn those little buggars up as well and have set them aside (in the upper left corner of the picture)

The first snow of the season is hitting today. And the weather was deteriorating fairly quickly, so we hit the road to get a few groceries and to pick up the Harry Potter movie. I'm looking forward to watching it again and for Cassie to see it, however a commercial was just shown that Tinker Bell is coming on shortly, and they all seemed pretty enthused about watching THAT...so..... we'll see.

9 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like some fun sewing going on there...good for you! I'm hoping to make more progress tonight than last night :)

scraphappy said...

LOVE your fabric choices. You are so crazy to sew up those little HST end units. I kept mine, but only pitched them in the crumb jars. First snow of the season? Sounds like a perfect excuse to stay in and sew a bit.

Andra Gayle said...

Looks really nice, Amy. I am sticking with Bonnie's Colors. I had a ton of blue and had to purchase the red. I only have 46 hourglass units done so far but many others in the works. Happy stitching. Jealous of your snow.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Can't wait to see everyone's quilts come to life. We all have such a variety of colors going on. I still haven't made the final decision on my color choices yet. I will get some sewing time tomorrow.

Cheryl Willis said...

I have a few sewn up and the rest cut waiting. haven't picked out my fabrics yet, think i may just pull as we get clues and then be suprised at the end. cw

Andee said...

WHOOT WHOOT! I sewed today but little progress on Orca Bay...now you got me fired up, lol!

Amanda said...

I love those colours together. I' not doing the mystery but will really enjoy other people's efforts coming together. We've got typical November weather here, grey, dreary days with lots of fog and mist, but not too cold yet.

Michelle said...

That's smart to save the little triangles from the beginning of the strips!

Ellen said...

Love what you have going on - you have been busy! Your colours are gorgeous.