Today, I sat for a few moments, watching Beth's applique tutorial video. Not only did I learn quite a bit from watching it, I also found myself chuckling at some of her humor!
Anyway, tonight, after shipping the girls off to bed, I dashed into town to pick up some washable glue sticks. Then from 8:00 until about 9:30, I cut, glued, sewed (and probably made up some of my own rules on Beth's process) ((**looking around for applique police**)), and completed another rose. It definitely looks different because I didn't use a satin stitch with white thread. Instead, I used a blanket stitch with transparent (nylon) thread.
The left rose is from tonight; the right is from last night. I like the non-stiffness of the left one (my altered Beth-version) versus the fusible-web one on the right. I chose to make the outer petals all light pink to try to eliminate the "see-through" problem (The light pink is VERY light fabric) I had from last night.
When I came upstairs to blog, I asked DH's opinion on my first two roses. And, believe it or not, he gave me some other ideas to try next. One idea: if I stay with the colors tonight (left), he suggested cutting ONE light piece based on the "outer petals" (cutting out the "inside" of it); then cutting a dark pink petal-layer (again cutting out the inside of it), and then layering the top three small petals. This actually sounds like a great idea; it would eliminate quite a bit of cutting & piecing. I could do my altered-Beth-version with that OR use the fusible web. I may have to try both.
This has been a nice learning experience so far for me. I won't make a final decision on whether I like applique until I've tried a few different ways to applique. It's been kinda fun trying/learning something new.
he needed me to add that his suggestion was INGENIOUS!! (and time saving so that I can spend more time with him in the evening instead of hibernating downstairs in the quilting room.)