Sunday, April 26, 2009

This -n- That day...

FIRST!!! To start the post; we are newly-made proud parents..... I really don't know if I ever informed any of you that my DH acquired yet another "Farmer Paul" animal. Last autumn, Cattle-ine joined our family, a pregnant heffer. This morning started with a new member. The picture is not the greatest, but I'm about 150 yards away, so....it'll do. Paul woke me up at 6:11 wondering if today was Monday or Sunday--UGH! Once I told him Sunday, he went "potty" and then snuggled back in. ME, on the other hand, shheeeesh---now I was wide awake, so....6:22 I finally rolled out of bed. Figured I might as well make use of the morning. Anyway---I peeked outside, and there she was, licking away. I got all excited and told Paul.....he didn't believe me! Come to find out that when he went to the bathroom, she was laying down with no calf, so she literally JUST calfed. The girls are still sleeping, but we both are up, eating muffins I made, drinking coffee, and are waiting patiently to share the news with the girls.

Okay---now to yesterday. I use this word a lot, but....it was a day of "putzing." It started out by working on the March quilt. All blocks were completed in the morning hours and were pieced into three sections. I think this will sit for a bit now while I decide how I want to quilt. I just purchased a new Machine Quilting book that takes me through the "practice" steps of accomplishing beautiful??? quilting.

After the sections were pieced, I came upstairs for a mid-morning snack and grabbed the book. Practicing my quilting sounded like a good plan, so I tore out a page of phone-book paper and traced a rather intriquite (sp?) design. I used an orphan Scrappy Basket block AND I grabbed the basting spray to finally try it out on a smaller-scale project. It worked rather slick! BUT, if you are going to use the "draw-motif-on-paper-and-sew-over-it-before-tearing-it-off method, I recommend to NOT spray the paper to the fabric. That was a PAIN to remove!!!

In addition to buying the quilting book last week, I also bought a whole bolt (25 yards) of white muslin (very nicely woven!!!) for $1.00 a yard! Couldn't go wrong there. Pictured is also a roll of 10 yards of Warm & Natural batting that was on sale for $5.99/yard. I should be set now for awhile :0)



While waiting for lunch to cook, I browsed over some of my online quilting bookmarks, and came across this Cathedral Windows tutorial from some time ago. I was instantly inspired, so I headed downstairs after lunch to give it a try using the new muslin. SLICK! This is FUN! I can foresee this being a larger-scale project in the future, but I think I want some sort of "controlled scrappiness" with the window colors, so this is just a small wall-hanging as a visual reminder for "someday."

Then...I actually was bored with the quilting room. I didn't know what else to work on and really didn't feel like sewing.


Paul was outside with the girls, working on his own version of "putzing." He was preparing the garden for tilling; covering it with some old leaves and compost that has been "brewing" since last year. I joined in the fun......

















And this last picture was a surprise on the camera this morning. Last night, Candace and Caitlyn "borrowed" the camera again. Caitlyn snapped the pic of her and Candace; it turned out amazing.

Happy Sunday

10 comments:

Chris Daly said...

Congratulations on your new addition to the family!

Julie said...

Sweet! A baby calf!!

Amanda said...

How exciting - I bet the girls were over the moon. I hope the heifer is being a good mother and you don't have to hand rear the calf. You've tried out some fun new techniques too. Great 'farming' photographs.

scraphappy said...

I so love the colors on the March quilt. The yellow really sparkles mixed in with all the different greens. How fun to have a new calf. Are they supposed to be milk cows or meat cows? I don't know much about livestock, but my dad used to have a cow named pot roast. I guess you can tell what he was for.

Calidore said...

Wow a new baby - congratulations. You have been busy in the sewing room again - well done. Love the quilting pattern you tried on the phone book paper. Very nice. Love the photos of you all farming and the one of the girls is just too cute for words. Got to wonder though - just how big is your garden when Dh has to turn it over with a tractor.

Nancy said...

Congratulations!!! Oh if giving birth had been as easy as looking out the window LOL

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new baby! How exciting. All the family pics are priceless. Everybody healthy and happy! Enjoy!
But this is a quilting blog? Forgot to mention...the March quilt looks sooooooo gorgeous. And the cathedral window experiment...inspiration! Thank you for doing what you do!

Andee said...

Congrats on the calf and the green quilt is looking awesome! I have never tried the cathedral windows, looks good too!

Dawn said...

Congratulations on the newest member of the fam!! The green quilt is looking great! Great score of the sales!!!

Cornfield Quilter said...

How cool to have such a wonderful new addition to the family! Does this mean the baby will grow into a cow that the girls will work with and show in 4H? Love the green quilt, and the quilt in the previous post is gorgeous too!! :D