Saturday, March 5, 2011

Blue Ridge Beauty, Raven Stars, Maltese Star and a Tooth!


Blue Ridge Beauty was the first task-at-hand this morning and the quilting was completed shortly after 9:00. I had some difficulty and am a bit unclear as to what the problem was exactly. My bobbin thread had run out; so I tied off a new start......and then........a bit of tugging here-n-there and SNAP! Bobbin thread breakage. That's a first! I actually had to rip out the little bit of section I attempted to sew. Then retried after reinserting the bobbin case....SNAP again! Hmmmm........ After ripping out the small section again, I decided to give the machine a quick cleaning, rethread the upper thread AND change bobbins. **shrug** One of them worked, because I was off-n-runnin' again.

I unpinned the quilt from the frame, but it still remains hung over the bars. I didn't have floor space open to lay it out for trimming. Rather, the center of Raven Stars was still claiming the floor. Therefore, that was my next project to tackle....

and by lunch time, all the borders were added. For those of you who have been participating in the Quilt along, the final step will be posted on Wednesday (Block piecing, top piecing and borders).

Then, I pulled the remaining Maltese Star - Mystery 24 blocks so that I could piece together the final rows into a completed top. The mystery did not include any borders, but I am electing to add some. This is the stage it currently is in. An hour ago, I came upstairs to make a cup of tea. While waiting for the water to heat up, I pulled out my Harry Potter book (I started reading it last night before bed and only managed a few pages before my eyes couldn't remain open any longer), and have been reading ever since. I don't know if I'll get back downstairs anymore today/tonight. I figure I accomplished enough to consider it a full sewing day, so I'll be perfectly fine if I don't get back downstairs.

Cailtyn had a great day on Wednesday at school! I received an email from her teacher early in the day saying that she had a really loose tooth. (Psht---NO CLUE that it was even loose!). And then, right around 1:00, another email came in that said "It's out!" This is her first lost tooth, and now.....the other big tooth and two bottom teeth are all loose.

Okay....back to my reading ;0)

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I hope the tooth fairy is good to Caitlyn!

You've gotten a LOT accomplished today. Enjoy the book - it's a really good one and you'll wonder why it took you so long to read it!

Ann Marie said...

Your bobbin problem was probably just that, the bobbin. I had one that did that right after I changed it out, using a different bobbin than the one that was in there. IT gave me such a fit, and then got so stuck in the machine, I broke the bobbin out, and threw the entire thing in the trash. haven't had a problem since. It might have been a bobbin for one of my other machines.

Andra Gayle said...

They are all gorgeous, especially the toothless smile :)

Angela said...

You have been busy. I had one of those days yesterday where I didn't seem to get anything much done even though I felt like I hadn't stopped! Your quilts are gorgeous

Patchwork Penguin said...

Wow!!! Everything looks great... and I love the toothless grin :o)

Quilting with Jannette said...

You've managed to get a lot more sewing done this week than I have - the BRB is looking REALLY good! I'm glad to see that someone's Raven Stars is nearing the finish line - I'm still working away on step #3....
maybe this week will be a little better! (I should get some pics up on my blog)

scraphappy said...

Looks like the tooth fairy is going to be busy for a while. So nice that you got a play by play update from her teacher. What a cute picture of toothless glee! Looks like you are making excellent progress on many fronts. Glad you were able to put in some hours.