Wow---two hours = eight rows pieced. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but this is a slow process to make sure the seams are meeting. And---after my 12 years of quilting, I'm STILL making (and LEARNING from my) mistakes. .... Earlier this week, I was thinking how nice it would be to have my Ohio Star units all tidy and trimmed up to 6.5".
Oh Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie.......I'm slappin' my forehead big time!!!!! I've lost the points :\ AND, had I not trimmed up, I think all my pieces would be fitting nicer; come to find out, those stretchy string units realllllly are out-sizing the nicely trimmed up Ohio Star units. :|
Hm.....live and learn.
In the end......It'll still be an AMAZING quilt, with hours and hours and hours of inspiration devoted to it. Those orange strings certainly "SING" though, huh
I haven't revealed a name for my rendition yet; Orca Bay certainly doesn't fit it. I have a few names floating around in my head; playing games with combinations of words that come to mind from this entire process. It actually makes me think about how we name(d) our children; that until you actually see that adorable lil' face in front of you, a name just doesn't "hit home" until that very final moment.
Oh No! Self-talk:
I was just looking at Jo's quilt on her blog, and I kinda make a "hmm...her strings appear to be going the wrong way...."
And then I looked at my 8 rows sewn together already.....
!!!!!! Mine also are going the "wrong way"; they are going against the grain of the "light diagonals"
So sure enough-----I looked at my printouts from Sunday :\
I used Bonnie' EQ drawing to layout out my blocks, but then used her quilt photo to lay out the direction for the strings....
I didn't realize they were two different layouts (with no rotational symmetry), therefore, the string blocks are going in the wrong direction. SO----IF YOU HAVEN"T GOTTEN TO THIS PART YET!!! TAKE CARE! The pics on her blog directions have been fixed, but the PDF file still has the two "rotated" pics of each other. I don't know if/when she has plans to fix the PDF file.
A set back, but I'm still keeping the smile on my face. I WILL be doing some ripping in the near future of the 8 rows completed so far. This is an amazing pattern an heirloom.