Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some Basketball and quilting (NYE mystery)

No sleeping in for us yesterday - nope, nope, nope. It was a Saturday morning full of basketball; the first non-sleep-in-Saturday of five coming up over the next handful of weeks.
Caitlyn had Little Lakers basketball practice and inter-school scrimmage from 8:00 - 10:00. This is her first year playing the game; she says she's enjoying it, but I would put a million dollars on it if our school were to offer gymnastics, she'd dropped basketball in a heart-beat and join gymnastics. However, we're a small school and gymnastics is not an option. (I foresee cheerleading in her future though).

Cassie's first game started at 9:00 in a different school, so we missed it but heard she played well despite a 10-12 loss. I was told she made the last three baskets and almost made a game-tieing shot with a few seconds left on the clock. She's really finding her love for the game.

Her second game was at 11:00, so we all were able to watch. The coaches do an excellent job making sure all fourteen girls (YIKES!!!!) get an opportunity to play. The periods are 6 minutes in duration, and they (coaches) switch out a full 5-person squad every three minutes. Cassie again made some good plays and landed a couple of buckets. She's improving on her dribbling skills and I THINK she's growing into her height nicely, finding her coordination. WHEW!

I didn't do ANY quilting yesterday, unless you call ripping out my 8 rows of Orca Bay while sitting at the games quilting. I suppose it could be considered UN-quilting :0) Then, the rest of the day, I totalllllly relaxed in the glider with my feet up, reading on my Kindle App and reading the back of my eyes from time-to-time too.

However, today, once the morning got started; coffee brewed; laundry well underway....

I spent an hour piecing four more blocks for the NYE mystery quilt's setting triangles. I simply cut them in half diagonally. I KNOW I will lose the points once a border is attached, but it was the price I accepted in order to have the half-blocks as setting triangles. I literally only had 2" of my background fabric left (aside from some crumbs) once finished, so I couldn't do the setting triangles like they needed to be done. {{I still think it'll be great, even though there won't be any pretty points along the center's edge}}


Naturally, all those bonus triangles needed to be pressed and pieced to be put into use. Once completed, I'll have 77 bonus pinwheels that will find their way into the outer border. Somewhere I must have another HST "lost" because I SHOULD have enough for 78 pinwheels. I looked for a bit and then gave up; no biggy. I'll make 'em work :0)

So, now... I have my feet up once again, waiting for the Packer game to start. GO PACK!!!!!
I also have to spend SOME time on my school work; I have yet to do that this weekend. BUT, the upcoming week marks the end of the term, so Pre-Calc will be wrapping up. Two days of review and a final and then....DONE with PC for the year.

7 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Oh how those photos make me miss my little girls....we did the basketball marathon Saturdays. And Little League. :)

Love how your NYE mystery is turning out. Sorry about the unsewing. I'm lucky only having to take 1 out.
Looks like you are having a great day..

Me and My Stitches said...

I love basketball, it's my favorite sport to watch (I'm too lazy to actually play!!). And your quilt is great - I don't think losing those points will matter at all!

Quilter Kathy said...

The mystery looks great! I look forward to seeing how you use the bonus HST's...I kept mine too!

Barb in Mi said...

Love your NYE mystery! Great colors and bonus HST on top.

Andee said...

Darn that Pack! I am sure Orca Bay will come together nicely now that you have it unsewed. NYE looks great, I like the corner...very unique! Makes me want to get a border on mine and be done!

Ellen said...

I really like the colours that you chose for your NYE mystery quilt. It looks great!

scraphappy said...

The girls look so intense dribbling down the court. What a nice way to spend a Saturday. Love the new mystery quilt. Nobody but you would notice the missing points on the edge. Glad your semester is winding down. It seems like a long time till summer vacation......