Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday morning ramblings...

Gosh, for a day I could actually sleep in, I was up at 5:40 a.m. wide awake. I've been out catching up on everyone's weekend and figured I might as well drop in a few words myself.

I finished sorting through my magazines; ended up keeping 5 magazines and 42 patterns that were torn out and placed in page protectors in a binder. I will be giving the magazines with patterns torn out to my MIL, maybe later today after the funeral.

I haven't mentioned yet the reason I'm staying at my parents through today (Monday.) My grandmother ('real' Dad's mother) passed away last week. I hadn't seen her in a long time, and I think Dad was quite surprised when I said I would be there, but she's Grandma.

My Dad comes from a family of 18; (my Mom from a family of 16). They divorced when I was 2 years old, and as I grew older, I would often joke about "golly--imagine if we were to put together a reunion involving both my 'real' parents---it'd be half the town!"

I usually don't care to read too many obituaries; too blah and boring and factual--rare is it when an obituary gets written like this one: Grandma. I just found it more personable; almost as if you didnt' know her, you truly got a sense of what type of person she was. Of her 18 children, 14 are still live, with 46 grandchilden, 62 great-grandchildren and 20 great-great-grandchildren. With numbers like that, I'm sure you can well imagine the scene at last night's wake. At one point, many of us joked about needing name tags with the family-tree written on it (ie: Amy, youngest daughter of Ron, 3rd oldest boy of Mary(Grandma))

So---the household is waking up, and I suppose I can hand the laptop over to hubby to check out his online game status (I think it's called Evony??). {{I think he's going through withdrawal}} LOL

Happy Monday everyone

4 comments:

Winona said...

Amy, condolences on the loss of your grandma. Wow, she left lots of descendants. Glad you are able to go and pay your respects.

On a different note...I sure have been enjoying your journey into the longarm world. (grin) Winona

Lori said...

Sorry to read, you lost your grandma.

I am shocked about the amount of children she "molded into adults."
That is quite a legacy.

I think name tags are a great idea.

Great job with the magazines!! Do they really sell on ebay?

scraphappy said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. Funerals at least give us a chance to reconnect with our living family members. They always make me want to dust off the family tree and figure out who is missing. The obituary really gives you a sense of who she was, doesn't it? Makes you wonder what your own will say years and years from now; "Passed away at the grand old age of 105 leaving hundreds of quilts to all her family and friends"

The word verification at the bottom says amenon, do you think it knows we are talking about a funeral?

Tracy said...

You have my sympathies on the loss of your Grandma.
That is a really big family!