Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rainbow Scrap 2012 & 2011; Orca Bay and Jamestown Landing

Yesterday was completely jam-packed with Basketball and shopping; thankfully Paul volunteered to drive us so I was able to complete most of my school planning while traveling to the game one hour out-of-town.

Today, however, was devoted mostly to machine time :0)

Since Angela posted a Mr. Linky for the 2012 Scrap Challenge, I chose to start the day with some green scraps. Two more Jack-in-the-Box blocks completed to join the red blocks from January; in addition to the "bonus triangle" squares that are being planned for a scrappy border on the final quilt.

When those were completed and scraps tidies up, I looked over at my design wall and frowned.

My wall hasn't been touched since the end of December; sadly I KNEW this was going to happen, too :( I set out to change that today!

After sitting back and staring at the wall for about 10 minutes, I finally said, "NOPE! A 3x3 doesn't work for me!" Therefore, I looked in my 2.5" scrappy squares bin to see what I had an excess of....
Another blue block, brown block and my first black block were pieced. Yes, Yes......a 3x4 layout is much more pleasing to my eye.

It was a chick-flick day in my quilting room! By the time I broke for lunch, I had completed "The Lake House" and "Maid of Honor." Sadly, I never got back to the Rainbow Scrap 2011 blocks once back downstairs after lunch.

Instead, my Orca Bay kept staring at me everytime I walked back to my sewing room. After seeing Andee's progress, I knew if I just tackled piecing the rows together, I would feel so much better. Therefore, with "The Notebook" playing in the background, FINALLLLLY all the rows are completed, weeks after I first attempted piecing the center together, and the outside border waiting patiently.

In the meantime, I've been making quite a dent in my Jamestown Landing leader-ender units. The first of the broken-dish units were pieced today. As always, another successful Sunday!

9 comments:

Andee said...

That Orca Bay is looking FABULOUS! Love it...and we are at the same stage for once..lol nice that we motivate each other from afar! I am thinking I might put in the extra work for a border on Jack in the Box when the time comes..those pieced borders often steal the show! Way to go today!

Linda Lee said...

I am so glad you were able to get some therapy time with your quilting today! As always...your work is beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow! You really burned through the quilty to-do list today! Excellent!

Andra Gayle said...

Good Job, Amy! I am way behind you.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You got a lot done today. I've been drooling over Jamestown Landing ever since my magazine came from Erica's. So far I've cut a bunch of blue strips and neutral strips and that's as far as I've gotten. Been sort of cutting strips for that and Orca Bay at the same time, with a few odds 'n ends of patriotic fabrics for QOV quilts. Working on a lot but not having much to show for it. LOL

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Congrats to another very productive day in the sewing room. I hope my productive days return soon, I am going nuts.

Ellen said...

Wow - you were certainly on a roll and got so much accomplished on so many different projects!

Me and My Stitches said...

Don't you just love those productive days? And...great chick flicks!

Candace said...

I like the 3 x 4 layout too, I know some people love the square quilts, but I'm partial to rectangles I guess. I love your Orca Bay, it must feel good to have it in flimsy form. Knowing you, there will probably be pictures of 2 finishes in the not too distant future. I love the purple and white border of your Orca.