Saturday, December 7, 2013

Afghan-turned-scarf; and Caramel Corn

Well.... so much for the new "afghan."  
LOL.  While sitting in the couple of (CHILLY) gyms today at the basketball tournament, I simply made the decision to turn the afghan project into a new scarf for your's truly.  The photo doesn't really show off the green portions of the yarn that match my lime green jacket perfectly.  I was able to wrap it around my neck by the 2nd game :D

Hey!  Y'all should have known there would be a couple of Basketball pics showing up in the post. 

It's nice being tall, huh?  Cassie is one of the three "tall" girls on the team, and sadly, one of the other girls rolled her ankle during the first game of the day;  1st quarter :\  By the end of the day, the team rallied up 2 rolled ankles (girls benched, icing on-n-off), 1 jammed pinky (girl benched until the final game), 1 bruised hip (that'd be Cassie during the final game of the day;  she got hipchecked and it knocked her down something fierce),  1 injured knee (the other tall girl, BUT she held it together as best she could;  she's aggressive! and tough!), and LOTS of huffing-n-puffing!  That was a lot of ball for these girls who have only had a few short practices before tournament season.

So, after arriving home and getting all snuggled up in warm, comfy PJs, and turing on the Hallmark Channel, Caitlyn and I whipped up a batch of homemade carmel corn (microwave recipe).   I wouldn't say this a Christmas tradition, but I DO remember making this as a kid!  {{YES, microwaves existed back then!!}}   AND, my recipe card is still TYPED up on a 3x5 index card from my mother, white-outted typewriter mistakes-n-all.

16 cups popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Place 16 cups of popped corn in a large brown paper bag. 
Combine in an 8 cup microwavable bowl: brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave on full power until the mixture begins to bubble (1-2 minutes)

Boil for 3 minutes, STIRRING AFTER EACH MINUTE
Add soda and vanilla; stir well as this will foam up! 
Pour mixture over popcorn in the paper bag. Fold bag and shake well. 
Microwave for 1 minute; shake well.
Microwave for 1 more minute; shake well.
Microwave for a final 30 seconds; shake well.
Pour onto 2 cookie sheets. Cooling takes only a few minutes. Store in an air tight container (if it even lasts longer than one evening!)

I hope to get some Celtic Solstice sewing done tomorrow before I need to tackle some AP-Statistics lessons.
Happy Saturday :)

6 comments:

Andee said...

I haven't made caramel corn like that in years..my kids used to LOVE it! And I remember we got our first microwave when I was eight...my stepdad made us cake in ice cream cones in it, we thought that was wicked cool! Love the scarf, way to improvise! I am about thirty chevron blocks into clue two...taking my time and trying to enjoy the process!

Amanda said...

What a vicious game basketball is! I hope Cassie is none the worse for her fall today. Your popcorn recipe looks good, though I'm not sure if we can get light corn syrup in the UK. I'll look out for it next time I'm shopping so I can have a go.

soscrappy said...

Sounds like a long and painful day. Hopefully all those injuries were minor. Caramel corn sounds like the perfect treat after all that hard work. Great scarf! Way to go with the flow!

Judy D in WA said...

Basketball games in cold gyms with projects in hand bring back some great memories. The aggressiveness and the injuries bring back memories too although not so great. Hope everyone is ok this morning.
I used to make that caramel popcorn all the time. Such a great treat!

Candace said...

Your scarf was a great idea for the cold gym and your lime green jacket. I've spent many an hour in gyms, and it brings back good memories, sorry about the injuries though. I haven't made much caramel corn, another story, but I have recipe cards that I wrote when I was in fifth grade and in 4-H, and some real oldies from others in the family. One of my favorites is Homemade Chocolate Pudding on an old envelope written for me about the same age, by my grandmother. I make it sometimes for family, tell them the story, and they love it. I haven't started clue 2 yet, but hope to today, also.

Deb A said...

Sounds like the scarf afghan was perfect! That popcorn sounds yummy... might have to try it with the kids. Hope everyone is healing quickly.