Monday, May 19, 2008

Craziness setting in???

So, any of you ever "dream" and surf to find Ultra-marathon races?????

http://www.fall50.com/index.php

The above link is what happens when I have a motivational running experience in my day......
So........How CRAZY would I be to put that on my schedule for this year as a goal????

50 miles.....let's see---they close their course 12 hours from the start, so....
12 hours * 60 = 720 total minutes
720minutes / 50 miles = 14.4 min/mile
So....14 minute and 24 second miles........That is DO-ABLE!!!!
hmmmmmmm...................as a goal, as a goal......yeah........
I figure I have 2 marathons on my belt, and this race is 2 weeks after my marathon this year.....I could use the marathon race as a "training" race to the Ultra......this ALMOST seems to make sense, in a weird-running-wacko way!!!
And...this course is along the BEAUTIFUL coast of Door County in Wisconsin. (If you look at the map of the USA, most of our teachers teach us early on that Wisconsin looks like the mittened left hand of a toddler :0) So, this race is along the "thumb" of the mitten. (The eastern sliver of the state---our penisula)

Okay---I'll re-read this blog next week to see if I still feel the same.....

:0)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Yup, I see a touch of end-of-term hysteria setting in. It's good to dream though, even if it could turn into more of a nightmare if you pursued it!

Candace said...

Wish I was in good enough shape to even think of it. I admire people who test themselves. My x sister in law walked the Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine one year. She had to go to therapy when she finished, and I worried about her the whole time as she did it by herself, but she made it.

Cornfield Quilter said...

I say "GO FOR IT"!!! What a beautiful place to run. The scenery is spectacular, the weather won't be real hot, and if you do get hot, just take a dip in the lake! LOL
Kidding aside, I admire anyone that can run long distances, and if you can do it while you are still young enough to do it, then just do it! Just my humble opinion. :D

scraphappy said...

Picture yourself at the finish line of your last marathon. Running across the finish line exhausted, but proud of your accomplishment. Now picture someone walking up to you and asking if you are ready to do it all over again. Yikes!