Thursday, January 9, 2014

Let's talk... Labels

[10:10 PM update]
I've been catching up on my blog reading tonight, and I simply smirked and was pretty amazed that Bonnie also chose today to talk about labels in her Labels, labels, labels post.  I would love to say 'great minds think alike,' but I don't think I can put myself in a category anywhere NEAR our beloved Bonnie.  I just thought it was ironic that we both posted on labels on the same day...
Read on, as you wish...
Hm.  Labels.  
Most of us know the theory and importance behind putting that final touch on our amazing quilts. (YES! It's completely okay for you to admit that you create AMAZING quilts!!!)

Are you like me?
Many of my quilts get labels on....eventually.  However, there are also many that are floating around my house (and van) that are unlabeled.  Have I considered placing labels on them?  Of course!  There are times when my mind wanders to the unknown future... what if something (heaven forbid) happens to Paul and/or myself and/or my entire family.  The quilts will either be kept in the family, or sold at a garage sale .... who knows, right?!  

And then, there they are.  
Unlabeled.
Now...
...fast forward 50 years.  A lover of quilts picks up one of our amazing quilts, and with determination searches all over for SOME sign of who or when the quilt was made... only to come up EMPTY!

:(

Those scenarios definitely get my motivational juice flowing that "eventually" really should happen "SOONER THAN LATER."

My method of creating labels has changed over the 14 years of my quilting endeavors.
My early "techie" years included trying to make labels with the printable photo paper.  Sadly, the ink never seemed to set.  After the first wash, the labels were blank :\  Therefore, that method was quickly scratched off my list.

For many years following, I would hand create most of my labels by tracing a printed label onto fabric through a light-box (aka: a piece of glass with a flashlight underneath.  HA!  DIY at its finest!).  Every now and then, I still revert back to this method of label creation.  There IS something about having that personal hand-written touch on a quilt.  I use acid-free pigma pens, and I do worry that eventually, there may come a day when the ink fades away.

For the past couple of years, I have created quite a few labels using my embroidery machine.  Each label varies in size, color and format -- the label truly is made to fit the style and purpose of the quilt.

I know there isn't a way to post pictures in the comments, but I'd love to hear (or see) about labeling methods you use.  Drop me an email with a picture if you would (askattebo@centurytel.net) -- I'd be glad to post it on a future post.  OR, consider writing a blog post of your labeling method, and .... share the post with me ??

Happy Labeling
and Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

scraphappy said...

Sadly, I am terrible about labeling. Rainy day project?

Kevin the Quilter said...

I am like you...there are still some quilts that are not labeled, but, for the most part, I do try to label everything I make.

Amanda said...

Yup, labelling is a bit of a sore point, but i know that I need to improve. I used to make terrific labels when I had my embroidery machine, but since that was about all I used it for, I traded it in with my old Bernina to get the new whizzy dizzy machine. It has loads of fonts on it, so perhaps I should try it out.

Dee said...

I've gotten better about it in recent years, only because I make myself make the label before I quilt it. I usually use an extra block on the back of the quilt and write the information on it using a Pigma pen. I also tried the printer paper and didn't care for the results!

Andee said...

I am good about labeling but I just hand sew on an "i love you hand" and write the info on. I should add to my goal list..learn how to make labels with my embroidery machine! Great idea, thanks! And I do put your creative mind and your energy in the same category as Bonnie! :)

Deb A said...

We are to put labels on the quilts? Just kidding. Some of mine have them - most of the ones in my house do not. I'm lazy - I either just write on a bottom corner of the back with a permanent marker or pigma pen. If I think ahead - I cut a 10 inch square, iron it in half and put it in a corner when attaching the binding to the quilt. Just whip stitch the long triangle down and then a quick note with a pen.