Sunday, January 18, 2009

A boo-boo, but moving forward anyway....

I said my share of explicative words this evening when I saw this! I suppose that's what I get for altering the pattern and not double checking with ONE sashing before cutting and sewing all of them. Short version: the sashings were cut at 4" (3.5 finished); and the corner triangles/squares were cut at 2". DUH! Ummmm.....I have NO idea what I was thinking----I guess it simply was one of those brain-fart moments! BUT, I continued plugging away anyway; I'm not going to kick myself too hard over 1/2 inch on the completed star. I am confident that it'll all still come together nicely and look just fine.


The blocks and sashings came together quickly, obviously. I started playing around with borders before shutting the lights off for the night. A dark blue seemed to make sense to me, but .... well, it really doesn't look that great. (Bottom right). I found this dark blue/black and red paisley fabric and tried that out. (Bottom edge). It almost looks brown in the pic. I'm not sold on either yet. I suppose I'll do what many of you do...I'll leave it lay for a day and "admire it" until a lightening bolt hits.

I wish I had enough of the white star fabric to go along the outside border again. That way, I could finish off the "outer stars" and just be done with borders completely. (Pretty much like the actual pattern shows). But I have less than 1/2 yard left, and it just isn't enough. :0( :0( :0(




I double-sewed all the sashing corners, so........17+14=31 total sashing strips. 4 corners each.......31x4=124! I have 124 bonus triangles that can be trimmed up to 1.5 inches, OR I can just leave them as is and maybe use them in a border somehow as well. 124....I guess I could trim them up to 1.5". That wouldn't take THAT long..... It's another idea to ponder.....


AFTERTHOUGHT!
Oooo.....just looking back at the photo of the layout......brainstorm here to try out for tomorrow night. Cut the white-star fabric at 2 inches to create some "mini-sashing" along the outside edge. Cut the red fabric at 2" as well......this will finish off the outside stars..... I'll have to see if I would have enough fabric to do that....

ANOTHER AFTERTHOUGHT....
*confusled look* Okay, I went back to the pattern to see how I made my mistake of not have the star-points coming together nicely once they get sewn to the sashing strips/squares. But.....really folks....I'm a bit confused! The pattern wants the sashings cut at 3.5" and then the red squares (to make the corners) at 1.75". Ummm.....1.75" is half of 3.5" *scratching head*.....even if I would have followed the pattern, the corners STILL would not come together at a point once sewn to the 3.5" squares....... ???????
*shaking head*
Whatever---it's too late to really put too much more thought and concern into it. It'll all be fine...

Anyway.....Happy Sunday Night.

5 comments:

Lurline said...

Oh, I got a bit confused, there, Amy - quilt looks great anyhow - I love that expression'brain-fart moment' - have written it down to remember - 'blonde moment' is worn out and can be offensive (lol)!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Julie said...

All that math is really scary to me. LOL. I think it will be fine!!

Calidore said...

It's way to late for me to be working out the math - but my eyes tell me that quilt looks amazing. Have just started sewing strips for the rail fence blocks for my quilt. Not sure what I will use for the stars - will make that decision when I come to it....vbg. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Nancy said...

I think it looks great. I am amazed at how much you get done. I hope to get a little sewing done today as we are off for MLK Day. I also have some papers to finish grading.

I have a star fabric, tone on tone, the stars are smaller and it goes more toward the cream than the white I think. If you are interested let me know and I'll send it out.

scraphappy said...

I agree about the math not working out. If you look at the picture, thier star points don't meet either. I think it looks great. Another quick finish. What a great way to spend a day of service.