Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ummm.... a new addict to crochet ??? Despite rug frustrations!!!

Let me start by saying that I AM NOT a crocheter.

Prior to about 30 hours ago, anyway.....

Alright, I had DABBLED a little bit with a simple single crochet stitch in order to attempt to crochet a rag rug.  With some newly found confidence after my practice with Caitlyn the other day, I was ready to start my newly "energized with motivation" attempt at another crocheted rug....



ALRIGHT YOU CROCHETERS!!!!!! WHY WHY WHY can't I figure out this stupid thing???  I followed a tutorial that said to single-crochet (sc) into the same stitch twice in order to increase the size; and this tutorial also warned/suggested that if I start a 'round' with 1sc per stitch, to continue that round with 1sc per stitch.   Likewise, if I started a 'round' with 1sc TWICE per stitch, to continue that round with TWO sc per stitch.  But me thinks......that increases it TOO much?  Right?  Hence, the ruffling....

Another tutorial suggested (once increasing was needed) to sc once into one stitch, and then sc twice into the next stitch, and so on.....alternating between 1 and 2 sc per stitch.  Which I started to do in the blue section to try to "fix" the waviness that began in the white.

Um..........
yeah.  
Kathy?!?!?!?!?!!  Any advice?   Anyone else????  

So, while I put that aside with a bit of frustration, I thought.......Why not work on actually UNDERSTANDING crochet before picking up the rug again!??!!?!?!?

O
M
Goodness.

It's SOOOOOOO much fun learning something new!  AND, what's even more exciting is coming up with "rules" and "designs" on your own.  Now, bear with me and BE KIND!  For those of you master-crocheters out there....looking at this, you might say "ummm, mistake" or "ummm, easily done."
BUT, the quick story behind this was........
I started by simply sc a couple of rounds, following the sc1 per stitch for one round, and then sc1 twice per stitch for the next round.  AND THEN, I recalled the double-crochet (dc) steps from an earlier tutorial in the day (I was in the truck, on the road up to the farm when this doily-thingy was made---TOTAL play!).... so I did a round of dc.  And THEN...I wondered......."hm.  what would happen if I chain-stitch a bit, and then skip some stitches...."

LIGHTBULB!  THIS is how all of those doily loopy-things are made!  

So, um....
there was gardening done this morning....
but NO quilting is on the agenda anytime soon.  

WHY?  
Because I found THIS TUTORIAL just a bit ago -- Crochet a woven rug.  Dude!  I'm PUMPED!
Of COURSE, I'll start small though!  We need a few more potholder/trivets anyway!

Patience with me.  My quilting will return!  Have no fear.
Until then....I reallllly want to see truly how easy this woven rug can be done.

Kathy--really though.  If you (or anyone else) has advice/suggestions on the rag rug.....I'd LOVE to hear it.

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I didn't crochet mine...I used the Aunt Philly's toothbrush tool, which might be like crocheting ( I am not sure?). The rufflyness for me was caused by tension issues (uneven tension) and by increases around the corners not being remembered :)
I am doing 3 increased stitches around each end of the oval size which makes it lay flat (if I remember to do it!)

Andee said...

Looks like fun..love your own creation! I do crochet some, but it has been a few years so it would be like starting over, lol!

Dona said...

you are right on both of your crochet projects. 2sc in one stitch is an increse, however these need to be equally spaced (x # of sc in each stitch between 2sc)to prevent the rippling on your rug. The doily is pretty much what you have discovered only using crochet cotton and a much smaller needle. I use to do both but am not able to so much anymore. The more you do it the easier it will be. Both look great so far.

Nancy said...

I jumped right into toe-up socks... and I don't have the concentration level this summer.

Congrats on the crocheting... it's looking good!