Sunday, February 23, 2014

Crochet -- faster than knitting, but....

I've never knit, nor have any intentions of learning to knit at this point in my crafting career, BUT I hear quite often...."Oh my goodness.  Crochet is so much quicker than knitting."  Meaning:  in the same amount of time, a crochet project grows quicker than a knitting project.  **shrug**  I guess I have to believe those ladies because....I've never knit.  

While working on some new rows (top and bottom in the picture), each row was definitely taking longer than the previous shorter rows  -- obviously.  But, I was curious to know how long each pass of the top/bottom rows took....
Each ripple/chevron color requires TWO passes -- so, each color is taking approximately 25-26 minutes.  Let's just say 30 minutes for some nice calculations....
Each chevron/ripple section at this point takes about an hour and 45 minute.  There are two passes per color and then one final pass of the Aran (7 total passes).  
Each new side of the afghan gets TWO of those repeats...
According to my current pace, in another hour and a half, the top/bottom repeats will be finished as I crochet in the Coffee and final Aran rows.  
THEN---I definitely see another 2-ripple repeat for the sides, which will most likely end up being the top/bottom of the finished project... and those sides will match the length of my current top/bottom portion, so....
That'll be....seven more hours of crochet on this project to that point.  

How big did I want this to get???

LOL.  That's a bit too much mental math to take on right now.  
I want to get back to my project, so I'll think more about that then.
But first...some lunch.

Does this count as "slow" stitching, Kathy??? ;)
See what other ladies are doing with "real" slow-stitching this Sunday (2/22/14 Slow Stitch Sunday).  I'll keep puttering on my crochet-stitching....

5 comments:

Andee said...

I will say that sock knitting takes a crazy amount of time...and I knit dishcloths that aren't that big that take several hours so maybe crochet is faster, I never thought about it. I imagine you would have knitting needles smoking in no time! This project looks great! I can only really crochet a giant granny square or all my stuff winds up diagonal!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is so amazing! The pattern looks so challenging.
It sure does "count"!!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I prefer to knit over crocheting, but don't do much of either anymore. I love this pattern very interesting. I will also have to agree that crocheting is faster than knitting but there is usually more air space in crochet patterns.

Deb A said...

Oh yes, it counts! I do both and crochet does seem to be faster than knitting. A little knit dish cloth takes me about 3 hours and that is maybe 7 inches square? Love your pattern and you are making amazing progress.

Linda said...

I do both and yes, knitting takes longer for me. Crochet is easier for me to follow and rip out if I make a mistake. If I mess up on knitting it is a lot harder for me to correct my mistakes and know where I am. I have picked up my crochet hooks again after a few years just because of you, girlie! This pattern is wonderful and I love it. I'm sorry your connection is so bad, mine is like that all of the time, I just have had to learn to deal with it. I hope you have better luck...