Sunday, February 9, 2014

Lori's Comfort afghan [Crochet pattern]

Lori's Comfort Afghan (50" x 53")


Approximate crochet time:  20 hours
Size:  50" x 53"
Yarn:  Lion Brand Vanna's Choice.  
  - Ten (10) skeins 123 Beige.  
  - Three (3) skeins 404 Dk. Grey Heather.
  - Three (3) skeins 101 Pink.
Hook:  Size J - 6mm
Level: BEGINNER!  
Stitches used:  dc and ch.  That's it!  Super pattern for a beginner :)


The sketch pictured above was drawn as a rough idea -- I am a much better visual learner than any other type of learner, however, here's my stab at the crochet written pattern...

Chain:  The pattern is a 8-ch repeat.  Chain multiplies of 8, plus 3 for the turning dc.
I chained 184+3.

Row 1:  2 dc in 4th ch from hook.  [*Skip next 2 ch, dc in each of next 2 dc, skip next 2 ch, 3 dc in next ch**.  3 dc in next ch.]  Repeat [ ] from * across, ending last repeat at **.  Turn.

Row 2:  Ch 3 (counting as a dc), skip first 3 dc.  [*3 dc in each of the next 2 dc (the dc are the individual posts from previous row).  Skip next 2 dc**.  dc in each of next 2 dc, skip next 2 dc.]  Repeat [ ] from * across, ending last repeat at **.  dc in 3rd ch of turning ch.  Turn.

Row 3:  Ch 3.  2 dc in first dc.  [*Skip next 2 dc, dc in each of next 2 dc, skip next 2 dc**,  3 dc in each of the next 2 dc].  Repeat [ ] from *, ending last repeat at **.  3 dc in 3rd ch of turning chain.  Turn.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 for the length of afghan desired.

Color pattern followed
14 rows Beige
2 rows Dk. Heather Grey
4 rows Pink
2 rows Dk. Heather Grey
14 rows Beige
...

If I were to do this pattern again with the same yarn and hook...
I would decrease the initial chain by 16-24 chains (2-3 'cycle' repeats), and add to the length by another Grey, Pink, Grey, Beige cycle.  
I used up all my Beige and couldn't find any in local stores over the weekend :\
I suppose I could always buy online...if I really wanted to make it a bit longer.

Happy Sunday everyone :)

3 comments:

Andee said...

It looks great, you sure master things quickly!

Quilting with Jannette said...

I love the look of your crochet pattern - it looks simple enough for anyone to use, but still looks complex! I just taught my daughter to crochet, and I'm going to send her your pattern link - it's always helpful to learn a skill and then use it right away on something that is useful too. Thanks for the design, and for sharing it!

Deb A said...

Great pattern and a beautiful afghan. You inspired me to pull out my blanket I started last summer because of you. I added a few rows before a cat decided she needed lap time. I think I am ready to finish it off tomorrow night. Thanks for the inspiration.