Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quilt-along: Raven Stars - Step 2: Nine-patches

From the cutting directions last week, you should have set aside 13 - 2.5" purple strips and 11 - 2.5" black strips.

Strip sets:
Make THREE sets of Panel 1 (B/P/B) (6 black strips used; 3 purples strips used)


Make FIVE sets of Panel 2 (P/B/P) (5 black strips used; 10 purple strips used)

Pressing: For most of this step, I always attempted to press towards the black fabric.

Sub-cut Panel 1 strip-sets into 42 - 2.5" x 6.5" units.
NOTE! You will have excess from these panels! However, depending on the width of your fabric (WOF), you may need that little excess in the next sub-cuts.

Sub-cut Panel 2 strip-sets into 84 - 2.5" x 6.5" units.
Here is what I mean about WOF differences! My black JUST allows me 40". I didn't have quite enough in my 5 stripsets to cut all 84; I only could cut 80. :0(

So, my extra 2.5" sub-cuts from Panel 1 were ripped...


And my "hang-over" purple fabric from Panel 2 sets were cut to 2.5" squares...
...and I was able to get my last 4 PBP units.

IF all of your fabric only allows for 40" WOF useable inches, you will sadly probably need to cut a couple more Black and/or Purple strips to make the needed amount of units. SORRY!

But in the end, you should have:
42 - Black/Purple/Black 2.5" x 6.5" units
84 - Purple/Black/Purple 2.5" x 6.5" units

Each 9-patch needs two P/B/P units and one B/P/B unit. Make 42 9-patch blocks.

The next scheduled posting: 2/23/11 - Step 3: HST's.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Love the purple and black together! My fabrics are all cut and ready to go. Hopefully I won't have the dreaded "short strip" issue.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

decided on my colors today around 5oclock. Got all the strips cut. Got all the dark pieces cut into triangles. Started on the light/medium combo half square triangle ones. Started on the mirror image light colored ones too. Sewed all my strips for this step together, and have my 42, and 84 subcuts sitting next to the machine to be pieced into 9 patch blocks. Whew......I was BUSY!!!! Hope your enjoying your down day, me I am going to kick up my feet now and find a movie on Netflix to watch. Will work on this some more tomorrow.

Sharon T in Napa said...

EEK!!! The teacher in me noticed right away that you left your blade uncovered in one of those photos!!!
LOL!! I do enjoy your blog. I've wandered into some cooking stuff on mine lately too. It's amazing how much we quilters have in common.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.