Thursday, February 3, 2011

Quilt-along: Raven Stars

Now that February has hit and life is.....well.....I guess I can't say life ever slows down, BUT now that I'm MAKING time for life's other pleasures :0).... I am dedicating the month of February to a Quilt-a-long.

In January, my Math 8 students completed their quarter project incorporating Geometry by designing a quilt pattern. This is the fourth year where I have turned one of the designs (the top voted design) into a finished quilt.

The name for this quilt will be Raven Stars.

Fabric requirements
This is a three-color quilt. I will follow the colors of my student's design: White, Black and Purple. I bet Red, White and Blue would also be a great choice!!!

White: about 2 3/4 yards

Black: about 1 1/3 yards

Purple: about 1 1/2 yards

These measurements DO NOT include any borders, and are slightly padded to allow for WOF (width of fabric) differences. Connor's design (my student) did not include borders, but I am certain I will add (at a minimum) a simple little border. The measurement of the quilt center (no borders) is 60"x70".

In addition to the fabric and the standard rotary cutter and rulers, a few specialty rulers will be used in my instructions.
(LEFT) The EZ Angle ruler and (RIGHT) The Tri-Recs rulers. The Tri-Recs rulers come as a set and most quilt shops carry them or you could always try online as well.

My time frame hasn't been completely established yet, but I am gearing towards a step per week, with each step needing 1/2 - 2 hours. Therefore, this will most likely venture into March, as well.

Who's game??? I promise not to guilt any of my regular followers into this....promise! I know all about having too much on the plate, but for me, this is a project that needs to be done anyway, so why not share it and see if anyone else wants to join in??!?! :0)

If you're game; grab the button and grab your fabrics! The cutting directions will be posted Wednesday, February 9.

13 comments:

Rhonda said...

I just found your blog today. I would love to try this quilt-a-long. I don't know what fabrics yet, but will think about it this weekend and add it to my blog early next week. I hope I can still join. : )

Andra Gayle said...

Not sure if I really have time but I will go check for fabrics. I don't have the tri/rec rulers either. Will have to see... Looks like lots of fun!

Amanda said...

I'd love to join in, but I'm determined to finish all the things I have on hand. I've still got to make some more blocks from your 2010 BOM; I have eight that were made as part of a Euro Bee Swap, but need some more (so please don't remove them yet awhile). It would be good to have another reason to use my fancy rulers though, so I'll have to see.

Quilter Kathy said...

I am definately going to join in...you know me, I have startitis, so I can't help myself! Might not make the full size but I'll make some blocks for sure.
I am thinking about a scrappy version using lights, mediums for purple and darks for the black. I think it will work well and I can use up some of my smaller bits.

scraphappy said...

You are absolutely KILLING me! If only you knew how busy things are going to get very very soon. I don't know if I can resist though. I wonder if I could use red and kill two birds........

Quilting_Chris said...

I really like the pattern and this sounds do-able in the time frames you refer to so....count me in. Off to search in my fabric piles for the right 3 choices...

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I think I will do this one as well, will find fabric tomorrow, after turning on the electric fence and seeing what dog gets zapped first. Then the rest of the day will be in my sewing room. I will post my link after I write up my blog post.

Ellen said...

I would love to join in - I like pace that you are setting and I like the pattern. I am off to find some fabric in my stash.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I added my link, but I am not sure what fabrics I will be using on this one quite yet. We will see.......

omashee aka Barb said...

OK, a three color quilt! How can I resist? Red, White & Blue, of course! Will you be posting in pdf's (easier to print out) or just on your blog?

Quilting with Jannette said...

I'm hoping to keep up with this - I haven't decided on fabrics yet, but hope to get to that in a day or two...

^A^ngel said...

I love the design and the pace you are setting...Not sure about the fabrics yet but I've been wanting to make a white, black and deep red one...so maybe this is it...

Thanks for sharing this ...sounds like fun!

Have a nice week...

^A^ngel♥

Ellen said...

Thank you for hosting the quilt-along. I do like the pace that you are setting and the pattern looks great. I have selected my fabrics and posted the picture - I sure hope my fabrics will work!