Monday, January 3, 2011

A good mommy

Candace's 5th birthday is tomorrow, therefore she is the "Star of the Week" this week at school. Tomorrow, I have been invited to the classroom to celebrate the day with her, so I'm also whipping up a snack for the class.

Caramel corn was a hit for Caitlyn's snack day once last year, so I figured I'd give that a try. Afterall, it IS quite yummy (IMHO).

Amy's Favorite (and SIMPLE) Caramel Corn recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white corn syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 to 4 quarts of POPPED corn

Directions:
Combine sugar, syrup, butter and salt in a 1½ to 2 quart microwave safe bowl.
Cook in microwave (HIGH) and bring to a boil, stopping every couple of minutes to stir.
Boil for 2 minutes, stirring well once removed.
Stirring constantly, add the soda.
Place the popped corn in a brown grocery bag and pour the syrup over the corn. Close the bag by rolling it down a couple times and SHAKE HARD.
Mircowave in the bag on HIGH for 1½ minutes. Remove and shake well. Repeat 2 more times.
Shake when you remove it from the microwave the last time and pour it on a large cookie sheet to cool.
Eat instantly OR store in an airtight container when cool :0)

Microwavable Popper was a gift to DH from my sis last Christmas. He usually adds quite a few tools to his kitchen every Christmas; this year, he received a Dehydrator and is excited to try it out!

Corn popped and waiting in bag...

I couldn't get any pictures of the actual cooking/mixing of the caramel syrup because it happens kinda quickly....but this is just as good? Mmmmm......{{sarcastic lisp}} Gosh....too bad DH didn't use the spatula to scrape out the bowl when dumping the caramel into the bag. Now I have the job of licking cleaning out this sticking bowl! ;0)

The final product is cooling and will be bagged up into 24 cute lil' baggies shortly.

And.....LOL.....DH just said {{amidst chomping on a handful of finished product}}..."Alright. Ya gotta make up another batch!"

;0)

I HAD intentions of dubbing tonight "Mother-in-Law Monday" because I have a stack of projects from her that need to be quilted. I feel so bad, because I've had them since about October! Yikes!!!

Okay...off I go to make another batch!

Happy Monday.

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

Oh my, looking at all that yummy caramel corn is not helping my new years resolutions at all. You get major mommy points for that snack.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ladies..... DH here...... did you catch the term "his kitchen" ????? Sounds pretty good...... lol.... take care...

Marla said...

How long does it last? Seriously. Once you get past the "tasting" fingers, how long does it stay good?

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Oh man! That looks yummy!!! And lol to his comment! ;)

Toni said...

You DO rock the mommy department!! Man, look at all those cookie sheets of yumminess!!

And DH, I would gladly hand over my kitchen to you! :)

Andee said...

Looks good and happy birthday to Candace!

Candace said...

Looks yummy. I have the powerpro popper that you have and it's great. I noticed the "his kitchen" remark, I guess your DH reads your blog, lol.