Monday, February 15, 2010

Determined, despite "surgery"...Now or Forever sees a finish!


The morning started later than usual, awaiting my parent's departure, but eventually I found myself chaining through 104 broken dishes for Carolina Christmas, part #4.

Then I grabbed Now or Forever and started quiltin' along....until ...."cher-chuck, chuck, clickity-click, click....."...

The sound sure wasn't normal, so I figured I'd give the machine a good cleaning and oiling. Sadly, it didn't help. I'm not a technician, but I have trouble-shooted it a bit----the needle/bobbin-case are "missing" each other. Either the needle is a fraction of a second too early, or the bobbin case is a bit late. ((**sigh**)). So, after sitting STUMPED for a few moments (maybe 10 ???), I finally faced the inevitable and packed her up for a trip to the shop. Sadly the shop is an hour away, so she'll have to wait until the weekend, which will mean at LEAST another week after THAT before I get her back....

....so ol' standy-by "Brother" made an appearance.
I was soooooooo close to being finished with the quilting, and I remember the frustration I used to have with the Brother when it came to FMQ...BUT, after a practice patch and adjustment of the tension, I was off-n-runnin' again! By mid-afternoon, the quilting was completed and binding sewn on, still awaiting hand-stitching though. I don't have a walking foot for the Brother and I SURE MISS IT!!!!!! In fact, there are a FEW things I am now taking for granted on the Bernina 440 QE that my Brother doesn't have...
1) The needle up/down feature
2) the on/off button when FMQ
3) the stitch regulator! But it sure was fun and relaxing to take the quilting at a nice leisurely pace.
4) the needle threader (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
5) the 1/4" foot
6) the bigger "table"
...to name a few...
but, she came through when I needed her.

And then.......with only an hour left of guilt-free quilting time, I figured it was a perfect opportunity to tackle the "true" Paintbox quiltalong. (See side bar for link).
Carol (Cornfield Quilter) sent this BEAUTIFUL jelly roll of Moda fabrics when she returned Perkiomen Daydreams from quilting. What a lovely PIF gift!!!!!!!!!

The quilt-along uses 10" squares for the "focal" fabric part, but the pattern works perfectly with 2.5" strips too! I first cut off 2.5" square, then a 2.5"x3.5" rectangle for the back, then need to thin the strip to 1.75"....

JUST enough is available in the strip to cut 2 each of 6.5" 5", 4", and 2.5" rectangles!!! It's was meant to be.


My first set of Oh Fransson Paintbox's :0)

I'm a bit behind, but should be able to catch up in no time. As clearly shown in the picture, I am doing the variation with white. Thanks again CANDACE for the beautiful motivational Paintboxes on your blog!!!!

8 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, look at you go! Your Now and Forever looks great! That Oh Fransson Paintbox looks wonderful with that Jelly Roll. Great colors. I'm so sorry about your Bernina, been there, done that. Mine ws in the shop for almost a month and I sure missed it. I hope your's gets better quickly. I'm glad you have a stand-by. A day without quilting is like a day without sunshine! Hugs, Linda

Andee said...

Glad to see CC is coming along...your other projects are gorgeous as always. I just have to comment that I have two quilt friends here who are always telling me that I WOW them with all I get done, can I just say that you WOW me! Seriously!

Cornfield Quilter said...

Wow!! I wish I could get as much accomplished as you can! :D Love the quilts, so fresh and they make me feel so happy just looking at them. You're my hero!!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I have decided that you have way to much energy, and must , Immediately, share some with me!

I love your paintboxes, and the one you were quilting!

Tracy said...

Glad you have a standby to use! Hope you get your machine fixed quickly.
I just love that Now and Forever quilt!

Candace said...

I was feeling so bad when your Bernina had a problem, and I thought you couldn't sew. Glad that you had a backup, but I still feel bad for your Bernina. I hope that it is minor and quickly fixed. Love your quilt and your blocks, and like everyone else, I am wowed as usual.

Candace said...

PS Your blocks are gorgeous, why don't you post them on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/paintboxquiltalong/
That kind of adds to the fun.

scraphappy said...

The paintbox quilt a long is looking great. You are certainly making up for lost time! It almost has me tempted to start another project, but I am resisting until I cross a few more off of my list. As much fun as it is to have something new to work on every day, not all of us are as proficient at finishing off projects as you. I'm the one still posting pictures months later when the comments come back saying, "Oh, are you still working on DD? I thought you finished that months ago." Big sigh, not everyone can work as energetically and consistently as you:)