Tuesday, July 27, 2010

HOT HOT HOT and MUGGY MUGGY MUGGY

HEY!!! MY first chance to actually SIT DOWN at the computer since last Friday...sorry everyone, but life definitely took back over these past few days....

So....bare with me...

First, on Friday, I got my first complete July finish.
Dizzy's binding was sewn on. It still awaits a label, but I'm considering it DONE :0)

On Saturday, I was out in the woods with the boys helping...getting in the way....photographing their bonding time with each other and some manly tools. Together, we cut, split, stacked five loads of wood.

And of course the girls were super happy to see Mom and Dad after two weeks of being with Aunt Jenny and G'ma. We loaded them up on the 'pug' (a glorified 2-seater 'car' that pivots in the middle and has a dump bucket on the back) and headed back to the woods to pick some wild raspberries. We had enough to make a batch of jam {{jam that showed up on the table for Sunday morning breakfast---YUM!!!}}

On a crafty note---no quilting for me since Friday, BUT I found some new inspiration when loading things back into my new sewing room. I NEVER dreamed I would have learned to crochet, and I don't know why I was inspired like I was by this book {{it's not like it's the first time I've looked at it}}. Anyway, on the way up to the farm, we swung into Walmart so I could pick up a size J hook. Then, MIL and I attempted some crochet stitches according to the pictures in the book........needless to say the pics were hard to follow. I couldn't tell where the stitches were, blah, blah, blah. SO, after ripping out 3-strips worth of stitches more than 5 times, I finally said, ENOUGH!!!! Then I waited until getting back home and watched some Youtube 'how-to' videos----SUCCESS! So far, I have used 1 yard of fabric and have a "rug" about 12" in diameter. I don't know how big I'll make this, but it's a good way to use up that BLAH, QUESTIONABLE-QUALITY fabric.

I've been running my volleyball camp for the past two mornings with a decent turn-out. The gym has been HOT HOT HOT with the mugginess bearing down on us. Yesterday after camp, DH asked me to join him in staining a deck---HOT HOT HOT....

and, TODAY, the HOT HOT HOT and MUGGY MUGGY MUGGY didn't deter DH, myself, Nikki (pictured), her brother and dad from gathering together on the softball field to have an afternoon of hitting and chasing down balls! ;0) With sweat pooling in places hidden from view, we spent two hours practicing our batting. Nikki, who is also a recently former student of mine, and I play softball Monday nights. Last night was the first night of tournaments, where we proceeded to advance to the second level (next week) with a 10-1 victory. But we talked about getting together to practice some batting, so.....we made a day of it.

Once we got home, it wasn't time to rest (and THANKFULLLLLY we have AC on a day like today!!!) because I had a couple bucket fulls of cucumbers that needed to be dealt with. SO....a couple of hours and 9 pint jars filled with bread-n-butter pickles later, I am FINALLLLY putting up my feet.

So....there ya have it....
Hopefully tomorrow will be a "me" day after camp.

7 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Hooray on the finish!! I have my fingers crossed that the heat will break for you SOON!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Dizzy is just stunning and It is going to look stunning on any bed it graces.
Congrats on the crochet.... I taught myself out of a book a few years and it's fun. I was hooked on it (pun intended, bad as it is) for ages before I got on to knitting. But I always come back to quilting...

Alycia said...

Dizzy look s great! The raspberries look yummy.... I think that sounds like fun!

Jane said...

I love that rug, I've always wanted a rag rug of some kind

Amanda said...

Wow, you have been busy - raspberry jam and pickles, volley ball and softball (whatever they are!). I've often fancied making a rag rug, but haven't yet taken the plunge.

scraphappy said...

Your rug is looking very cozy. Is it for the new sewing studio? Congratulations on the finish. Surely you could get something else thrown onto the frame and quilted up in the next three days? I guess volleyball is keeping you pretty busy. I'm guessing quilting will be taking a back seat until the season is over. That's life though, a time for everything.

Andee said...

Your finish looks great! Nice job on figuring out the rug...youtube is a lot of help for that stuff you just can't get from a crappy picture! I am sweating thinking of batting in all that humidity! Way to get some in.