Monday, July 4, 2011

Jam, Jam, and more Jam

After mowing the lawn this morning, I spent a couple of hours picking some more strawberries with Candace's help. And then Caitlyn came out to help me pick some more rhubarb. Nine more containers each of Strawberry and Strawberry-Rhubarb will be stored in the freezer. I was getting tuckered out of jam-making, so the remaining 18 cups of rhubarb were placed in freezer bags.

While stirring the pectin for one batch, I perused the directions page and saw "Cherry Jam." Hmmm......sounded interesting, so I asked Paul if he would be interested in trying some. Out he went with Candace and picked the few cherries we have on the tree this year (first year of harvest), and then mixed them together with a batch of frozen cherries we received from the neighbor last year. I've never had Cherry jam. However, with the amount of sugar used in all of these recipes, how can ANY of them be bad (tasting)???

I LOVE the summer!!!
As does Cassie,

and Caitlyn,

and Candace.

It's about the only time of year they really can spend a decent amount of time with Aunt Jenny.



Okay----OFF to the garden now that it's a bit cooler out.

4 comments:

LuAnn said...

My rhubarb just dropped and died this year. That looks soooooo good. When my MIL was alive and took care of the cherries, I used to freeze cherry jam. It is one of my favorites. You will enjoy all of that this winter.

Dee said...

Sounds like you eat a lot of jam! My mom made strawberry jam this year and gave me a few jars. I love it on oatmeal bread. I've never tried cherry or rhubarb jam.

Quilting with Jannette said...

I LOVE cherry jam! I put just a bit of almond flavouring in it - tastes REALLY yummy!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Ok now I need to go and take some of my Strawberry-Rhubarb mixture out of the freezer and make a pie tomorrow!!! I have to, because you are making me do it! :D