Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tired of seeing my tomatoes yet?

Here is my 2nd load of tomatoes for the day; the first load is in the canner for their 45 minute bath. Always something to do during the process, and once started, there isn't much downtime. {{Obviously I have some downtime right now, though!!!}}

The 2nd load has since been skinned and cored, and is currently getting up to boiling temperature. Then, they'll be loaded in the jars and OFF for their 45 min. bath too.

Now, the sad reality.....

I will only be doing one more partial load (5 quarts), because that'll be the END of our jars.

Sure, sure....that should be HAPPPPY reality! But the reason it's a sad reality.......



LOOOOOOK at all the tomatoes we still have on the tables!!!!! Not to mention what still remains out on the vines!!!

;0) Guess we don't need to plant 38 tomato plants next year :0)


So.....5 quarts left.

Hmmm....... straight canned tomatoes? Or tomato juice? I need to count what we have and try to "equal" them out. When I make chili, I plan to use one jar of canned tomatoes, one jar of tom. juice and probably one jar of vegetable juice too.

Hmmmm.....me thinks MAYBE I need another batch of vegetable juice!!!!

14 comments:

scraphappy said...

Dehydrated tomatoes? Fried green tomatoes? Tomato sandwiches and tomatoes with toast? I hope you aren't toast before you figure out what to do with all of those.

quiltmom anna said...

You could make some fresh salsa with them or a tomato salad with feta cheese, chickpeas, tomatoes, some basil and a balsamic vinegarette over it. Sorry I don't have a recipe- just an idea that has been percolating in my head when a friend gave me a few of her extra tomatoes.
You have had quite the bounty of tomatoes.
I have read back a few posts- you are one energetic lady who gets so much done. Wow!
Good luck with the tomatoes..
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Anonymous said...

If I lived closer I would offer to buy them. I only got 5 measly quarts, though that is 5 more than I started with. My garden flooded so many times I gave up on it. Enjoy your tomatoes and your garden bounty.

PB from MN

Gari in AL said...

Yes! I have to buy tomatoes and they never taste like home grown.

Kathy said...

That harvest looks very plentiful! The good part is that you will appreciate them in the middle of our Wisconsin winter!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Time to buy more jars! You can freeze them to.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I would have already ordered me some more jars! I would make some spaghetti sauce, lasagna sauce, salsa, relish's etc. But you need more jars.

Anonymous said...

I wash them and throw them into freezer bags. When I make chili, I just put them frozen into the crockpot. No need to skin them, either.

We didn't have the weather for tomatoes, but the peppers really enjoyed the heat.

Lorraine

Quilter Kathy said...

Do you have room to put them into the freezer? I freeze them on cookie sheets and then dump them into the large freezer bags...take them out to use in chili over the winter.

Jen said...

LOL, I finished reading your blog about all the tomatoes and then on to the next..guess the subject?

http://alaskanbargainhunter.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-making-your-own-ketchup.html

Anyway, it's an idea. I can't remember if you've already made some or have even mentioned it.

Take care,
Jen
AK

Amanda said...

I've never heard of freezing tomatoes before, but I'll remember it if we ever have a glut. Mostly we seem to grow just enough plants to keep us in fresh tomatoes whilst they last - apart from this year though. You could try bartering them to your local store. Our village shop is happy to swap some surplus vegetables for half a dozen eggs or a couple of loaves of bread.

Nic said...

Order more jars online? ;)
Yum. I'm still waiting for my meagre offering to ripen so I can enjoy fresh homegrown tomato goodness.

Ellen said...

Harvest time can be a little overwhelming at times especially when you have such bounty. We didn't have much of a garden this year but in previous years we have processed the excess tomatoes by just skinning/chopping (we leave them a little chunky) and cooking for a short time. Once ready we freeze them in bags. They are perfect to add to any cooked dish - soups/chili/sauce etc.

Judy D in WA said...

Yes, the freezer! I freeze mine when I don't have enough for a full canner. That's what I'll be doing this morning. :) You are lucky to have had such a fabulous crop.

I love seeing your tomatoes!! :o)