Monday, January 5, 2015

A ninth birthday in winter


Out of all of the cakes this dear girl could choose from -- pinks, purples, frilly cupcakes -- ....
NOPE!  She chose the Packer cake.  I was pretty pleased :D  And all of those Packer helmets are rings, so that was an awesome bonus on top of the wonderful buttercream frosting!


Amongst her gifts, one of the most exciting for her was that she was able to get some fish.  It's kinda fun to think that three lil' $0.38 goldfish were the highlight of her day!
We stopped at the local Thrift Shop as well where she found a game and toy.    She truly was having a great simple lil' birthday shopping day!
While walking around, I couldn't help but feel a little bit emotionally mixed at this beautiful baby afghan on the shelf.

Priced at $1.65.  I understand it's a thrift shop.  I understand that whomever donated it possibly doesn't have the same passion and understanding for handmade afghans as those of us in the craft.  I understand that I can't judge nor know the whole story behind how it came to the donation pile.  It was beautifully crocheted.  It wasn't just a simple design;  it was quite lovely.  And as badly as I wanted to bring it home, I knew it had no rightful purpose at my house when it could end up being something affordable and special to someone else who may truly need it.  

The day was gorgeously sunny!  The drive home, with the sun beating down on my jeans was splendid!  The time at home with the sun overhead, glaring through the windows was wonderful.

BUT, folks... we can't let that sun deceive us...
This was the current info at 3:00 in the afternoon.


And this morning........this MONDAY first-day-back-to-school morning......
SEVENTEEN BELOW, with windchill of -32.  !!!!!!!!!!
Folks----- I know this is Wisconsin, but... we Wisconsinites are STILL HUMAN!  That's cold!   LOL

4 comments:

scraphappy said...

Looks like a very happy birthday. Try to stay warm up there. Yikes!

Deb A said...

She had a great birthday! Wish her a belated happy birthday. You just never know what they will like - my kids favorite from Christmas were the $3 and $5 stuffed kitty and zebra in their stockings!. That is just plain COLD! Stay warm.... too bad you can't just stay home and snuggle in under a quilt.

Linda said...

Happy birthday to her. I love her cake. I'm a Green Bay fan too even though I'm here in Texas. She has great taste. Bart Starr was my favorite all time growing up. Stay warm and snuggle up with your crocheting....don't send that cold weather down here. Ha, ha, hugs from Texas.

Andee said...

Dang cold! Happy bday Candace! Love the cake!!!