Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Woven crochet rug - sample complete

I'm not a fast crocheter by any means.  In fact, I am struggling with the "proper" yarn-finger-hand-hold-for-tension technique, so.... I'm kinda doing my own hold that works for me (for now, anyway).
I totally did NOT keep track of how long it took me to make this lil' woven-crochet sampler, but.... it went rather problem free.  Ummm.....just shy of 2 hours, including the weaving.  ???
I'm not a huge fan of the frilly-tassly ends; but maybe that's because it's such a small project.

I spent much of the afternoon in the truck with Paul and Cassie, doing some shopping for a new chest freezer and to give Cassie a complete package for her compound bow.  (The other two girls have been kidnapped by Gma and Gpa).  Arrows were bought as well as a few other gadgets to allow her to actually start using her compound bow.  

At the start of the trip, I asked Paul to stop by a local craft store so I could do a QUICK yarn shopping spree.  And it was!  Really!  Maybe 5 minutes, in-and-out.  It helps that their selection was SMALL!  **sigh**  Someone needs to come in and rescue that shop :(  Their inventory is BARE! :(  Linda, I'm talking about Zelners.  You agree? :(

As soon as I finished the lil' sampler, I was ready!  PSHT!  I can do this!

So, while still in the truck, I grabbed the new yarn and chained away, eyeing up what seemed to be a good length for a rug.

Now that I'm home, I measured the start of my mat with a rag rug we have in the kitchen and found it not too far off.  So, while Paul drove us around here-there-everywhere today, I enjoyed my time in the truck, crocheting away.    I can't see this project taking as long as my round scrap crochet rug.  Nor is this one as frustrating.  HOWEVER, I'm not giving up on the crochet rug.  While at a DIFFERENT craft store in a different town, I bought a new, bigger crochet hook (size 15).  Maybe the larger hook (needed?) will help ease my tension/ruffling problem.

Back to the new Woven crochet rug---I'm thinking of using 1" cotton fabric scrap strips for the weave instead of yarn as shown in the tutorial and in my lil' sample.  We'll see how that works when I get to that stage.

Okay.  NCIS is on in the background right now.  The craft light is on behind me.  I'm ready for a couple hours of crocheting ahead of me :)

Happy Wednesday

2 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Ooh, that is really neat, I can't wait to see your progress on this.

Andee said...

Next up--knitting? LOL!