Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Tiny Tuesday - the Return

A blast from the past!
The last 4.5" midget block post made was 11 and a half years ago! - December 12, 2012

Last night was spent perusing my own blog, rereading many of the very first posts made, and as I fast-forwarded, the #TinyTuesday posts -- wow -- they certainly took me back!   to a time of patience and dedication.  Is anyone still working on yours?  Or hibernating like mine?  Did anyone actually COMPLETE yours??? 

Well, not allowing the ol' me to be outdone, my surprisingly organized folder and stack of completed blocks were taken out with an absolute plan of gauging the progress.
I recall at one time hearing that Sentimental Stitches was going to retire the first 50 blocks, so all of those patterns that had been published were printed and placed in this folder.  And apparently, I actually saved the first 116 blocks SOMEWHERE back then, according to this post from 2010.  I still have my old laptops; I wonder if I can fire them up and dig around for them... T'would appear that the block patterns are now part of a monthly BOM deal.  


Anyway, so... I looked over the next couple of printed patterns with the whole OCD/Type-A in me needing to complete blocks in order.
Pshttt!
Ummmm
Nope
If I'm gonna give this a true devotion again, I need to ease back in!
Therefore, the printouts were strewn about until two were selected as the final winners.

Amidst the stack of fabrics I had set aside with these blocks in mind, I was reminded of the sashing units I had brainstormed SOMETIME back then...


So before even starting on any blocks today, a section of the design wall was cleared away for some playing and admiring... and reminiscing of the 40 blocks completed so far.  All the while placing them on the wall, thoughts lingered on simply 'calling it good' and setting them into a 5 x 8 layout.
but, eh... not very pleasing... tall-n-skinny and not close enough to the 'golden-ratio.'
However the 6 x 7 layout has some promise here.  Specially considering I had chosen two of the patterns that would be a good easing back in!



Block #60 - French 4's
Although paper-piecing was the recommended method of piecing this block, the math-mind was given a workout during this summer break.  A little measuring and a little fraction scribbled-addition later, the 4.5" midget blocks are back in action.


...and it felt good to be back in the action of the volleyball gym last night too.  I was left with a skeleton crew of athletes after all of the basketball athletes departed for a 3-day multi-team tournament, and although MOST of my attackers are on the basketball team, this lil' team knows how to hustle and finished 1-1 on the evening.  Just a few more moments like this left for me as I elected to resign from coaching after completing 17 years on and off over the past twenty-six.



Happy Tuesday everyone!  Hoping you have an amazing circle too!

1 comment:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh I never did Tiny Tuesday - but oh my!! what fun blocks those are!! I am not sure I could complete 118 tho!! Goodness!!

Glad your VB is back in action!