Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rolling Star

The Rolling Star pattern is in the September 2005 Quilter's Newsletter. I searched and searched and can't find any back issue links to share with you for those interested in having the pattern/magazine :0( I have no problem scanning in the few pages I have and sharing them, but.....I don't want to hinder and violate any copyright laws.

Through my googling, I came across Lee Fowler's website; she is the quilt maker and she has an email link. Maybe that is a place to start????

When I worked on the blocks this morning, I grabbed the camera to give a step-by-step of how I have been appliqueing these onto the foundation fabric (NOT following the pattern's suggested method)

When I traced these pieces out back in 2007, I marked the 1/4 sewing line because (at the time) I wasn't sure if I was going to hand-piece the blocks as suggested by the pattern. OMGoodness! It's already nearing FOUR years; I can't imagine how long this would have taken me if I was to HAND-piece.

Using the washable (purple-fade-away) Elmer's gluestick, I just dab-dab-dab away along the seam.

And then fold over the seam allowance. My hands get a bit goo'd up, but I keep a small damp rag nearby to clean off my hands as needed.

I usually take my glued-folded-seams block to the ironing board and press from the right side. And once I center it onto the foundation fabric, I put a dab of glue onto it as well, to keep the pieces together. NO PINNING FOR ME.

My PRIZED possession since the summer of 2008 (HEY, I should check out when my machine arrived! I must be nearing the 3rd anniversary!).....anyway......since the summer of 2008, I have been piecing solely with my Bernina 440, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. When I took a machine for a test-drive before buying, the shop owner walked me through some different tricks-n-tips. Here is one she shared using Foot #20 and the Blanket stitch (#45). Move the needle all the way to the right; the inner-right-edge of the foot then becomes a guide for the applique unit. The programmed stitch-width for the blanket stitch is a bit too small for me, so I increased it to 2.9; FYI.

ALLLLL thirteen blocks have now been appliqued. DUH! Didn't even think of taking a picture of them. I think that's because I jumped right into the next step, which is making the sashing units and the 9-patch corner stones.

I dug through my 1.5" scrap bin to see what I may still have hiding in there of Grandma's ol' vintage 80's fabrics.

When those run out, this is what I have remaining of her fabrics; plenty to finish the sashing and outer border.

6 comments:

Cornfield Quilter said...

Love your quilt!! I used to have that pattern and I have a stack of saved sheets out of magazines to go through to see if I can find it. It really intimidated me at first but with your pix you make it look like maybe I could do it. You remind me of a teacher, wow, you are a teacher!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Nancy said...

They really look great. Put an old magazine underneath and glue on top of it... that way when you are finished, just rip off the page that is all glued up... I've done this for applique.

Dee said...

Ooh! That's a beautiful quilt! Not that I need any more projects to do. I'm looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Judy D in WA said...

I love this quilt and you are making it look doable! I love that glue and cannot wait for school supply sales to start-should be next week ;)- so I can stock up again.
Can't wait to see this finished!

scraphappy said...

Just back home again and catching up. Way to go on finishing up all that applique! Love the glue stick method -- it is the BEST way to applique. Bummer about the spilled paint -- but the blue room looks awesome. Overhead murals are a big hit in our house too. I think blue tile would look great with the blue diamonds -- Paul is right on the money with that one. A dark blue border would also look great to pick up the diamond accents.

Anonymous said...

Hello Amy, gorgeous pattern...love it...looking forward to seeing your progress.....I have finally purchased sashings, cornerstones and borders for the BOM I participated with you...I hope to soon complete the quilt...Warm Regards, Lyn