Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sleeping with windows open...

4:46 AM
Morning world!

Did you know..at the first shard of light, birds like to sing?

Coffee's brewing and my mind is already in full speed thinking about how to piece the backing of Hostess with Heart. I purchased the backing in two 2.5 yard pieces (different fabrics). The quilt top will roughly be 64"x84" (I haven't measured yet, just going with what the final project should be via the pattern's suggestion).

Originally, was going to use one whole piece (by length) down the center and split the other piece in half (lengthwise) to be attached to each side.
Here's my dilemma.......
I want to load this quilt lengthwise onto the frame. I COULD "do the math" to make sure those strips get as centered as possible.

OR

I could cut both fabrics into 10.5" squares for a checkerboard backing

OR

I could cut both fabrics into 20.5" squares for a larger checkerboard backing.....Ooooo....that may be the ticket! 20, 40, 60, 80. Drat......64" and 84" don't work out too nicely with that idea.....well.....suppose I could add some smaller (6") border strips to all sides ????

Guess I'll have to play with the fabrics in my hand a bit later.

Last night, I did end up lacing up my running shoes and my walk turned into an almost-2-mile jog. So MUGGY out even with the sun down. Today , things should hopefully cool off in the humidity department.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

The dawn chorus is one of the joys of waking early. They started up at about 4 o'clock this morning here.

scraphappy said...

Good morning. How about a series of 10 inch strips? I feel like such a slacker sleeping in until 6:30 this morning.

Tiffany said...

So chipper so early! Kudos to you!!

It has been terribly muggy! Good job on the job despite the weather! You're motivating me to get my butt walking anyways.