Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A finish!

NYE 2012 (73" x 87")
Yup.  I put the binding on tonight (no new picture).  The binding is the same green that shows up throughout the quilt.  And although Candace shared some wonderful name suggestions, I think it'll simply remain as NYE 2012.

So, it has been folded and added to my stash bag of finished quilts.  (OH!  You can see the binding in this picture!)

At the same time, I unfolded and refolded a few quilts that have been not-so-patiently waiting on my QOV pile.  They will eventually make their way to you, Alycia!!!

And then....... wanting to stay on a motivational movement, I loaded Scrappy Picnic and finished off one bobbin's worth of quilting.  I am keeping the pantographs put away, and am trying a free-motion "circuit" pattern.  (Yes Angela---I loaded this BEFORE I read your email response to my 'quilting competition' comment.) :D

This post is taking a bit longer than usual to type up because we have the 10 o'clock news on in the background.  The flooding damage in Duluth is the lead story.   (We are the blue dot in the picture above....Duluth is about 80 miles due-north, right at the western tip of Lake Superior.) 
Here is one article of many that has been written throughout the day about the damage.  A boy amazingly survives a mile-long culvert 'trip,' a dozen animals perish from the Duluth Zoo....the stories continue to evolve.

The power of mother nature!  No matter where you live, there's always the potential for some type of natural disaster.  The good news........ the next 5-day extended forecast shows VERY LITTLE rain.  Time to wring out everything and take a breather.


7 comments:

Jane said...

Well done on a finish, so lovely to have a pile of finished quilts like that
Those pictures are breathtaking, things that seem so solid and permanent can disappear in seconds.

Andee said...

Congrats on the finish...stay dry now!

scraphappy said...

Great finish -- finally! Must feel all the sweeter for having taken until June. Be sure to show some close ups of your free motion quilting. How does it compare timewise to pantographs? I've shied away from pantographs so far because I enjoy looking at the quilt while I sew, but the pantographs look so good.

Nancy said...

Congrats on the finish!! They look lovely. I cannot believe the rain damage. There are times when I wonder how much of this we have brought upon ourselves with all of the development and such... but then I think where would everyone live? Not sure we will ever figure that answer out.

Hugs!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Congrats on the finish! That bag of quilts is looking good. Stay safe and dry!!!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Congrats on the finish, very pretty quilt.

After seeing the flood damage pictures maybe I shouldn't complain about our lack of rain and I'm REALLY glad that isn't my car in the bottom of that sinkhole. On your weather map our little bit of rain yesterday came from that very southwestern end of the storm system where it cut across northeast Nebraska.

Laurel said...

I love your colors in your NYE 2012 quilt. I saw it several months ago on your blog and went and joined the mystery quilt site. Now if I can just find the time....