Saturday, June 30, 2012

Next: Turning something King size

Julie is getting married!
A former student of mine, turned running partner and friend, is getting married on August 4.  I've known about this for half a year.... but it didn't hit me until this past week:  I should make a quilt for the wedding gift!!!

A text on Thursday started the conversation, and the input I have:  "We love earthy colors and we both like purple.  Oh, we have a King size bed, too."

!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!

Another king size.... in a month... do I have it in me??? :D

I enjoyed some time yesterday looking through all my quilt magazines, spying for a 'simple' King size pattern....

... and then it hit me:  I have a few quilt top centers in the works!  Maybe one of them will work.... just make it bigger.....


There's the "Buckeye Beauty" fall block swap from 2010.  The colors seem like they would work.

There's "Orca Bay" -- look: PURPLE!  But, it doesn't read 'wedding' to me.

Then I pulled out "Smith Mountain Morning" and really started contemplating quite seriously about it, despite that's it's blue and not purple.

And then....it dawned on me!!!!!!!

I still have "Diamond Fields" on the design wall!!!  

Purple -- check.
Earthy colors (green and orange seem to fit) -- check.
King size -- ........

oh boy!  I have my work cut out for me.  BUT, today IS the last purple Saturday for Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I'll have to see what magic I can work.

Chick update!
We have SEVEN.  One more egg remains....it wobbled in my hand yesterday, so we'll give it one more (maybe two more?) days........
Nicely done Lil' Mama!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

August = summer
Summer = brain asleep

therefore: Brain is asleep in August

How's that for some math :o)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Diamond Fields looks like a wonderful choice! But if anyone can do a king sized quilt start to finish in 4 weeks it is YOU!

Quilter Kathy said...

Those are all beautiful quilt tops...any one would be a perfect (and very generous!) gift.

scraphappy said...

I love Diamond Fields! It would be perfect for a wedding gift. What about making the blocks big enough to fill the top and then working some simpler border magic for the downhanging part? Just a thought. I am sure you can do it.

Mary Johnson said...

I wuld be tempted to make a generous sofa size quit that they could both snuggle under together. I don't make king size quilts for friends!!!

Andee said...

I totally know you got this! Can't wait to see it!