Monday, June 20, 2011

Design wall - UFO! and Stash Report

Oh BOY! This UFO hasn't seen the light of day for awhile, but for whatever reason, I thought I'd bring it out to FINISH over the next couple of days weeks now that I've learned a thing or two about applique. I don't know what happened where I had one "weird" block (placed in the center)----this has been an on-n-off project for the past 4 years, so I'm sure I miscounted/misplaced the original white units, so I just grabbed whatever "light" scraps I had to finish up the final block the last time I worked on this last year.

Most of the fabrics (I dare say 90%) are fabrics that I inherited from my Grandmother in 2007 (when I started this baby). I'll have to see what I have left of her fabrics because the blocks will be connected with strips of sashing.

I learned a trick using a glue-stick to turn over the seam allowance and it's how I applique now, unless I simply cut to size and applique with a raw edge. Applique is NOT my cup of tea, but I WILL finish this UFO!

Block #1 of 13. A block a day? That'd be 2 weeks, and then the EASY part of piecing everything together. ;0) End of July goal?......SURE!

OH! The designer suggests to cut away the extra fabric underneath after appliqueing..... I'm actually thinking of leaving it there; giving the finished quilt some more weight. Thoughts?????


I didn't post a Stash Report yesterday, so I'm doubling up this Judy post :0)

Stash Report: June 13-19
Used/wk: 23.292 yds {{I'll have to look, but I think this is the new record!}}
Purch/wk: 14.167 yds

Used/yr: 109.625 yds
Purch/yr: 47.167 yds

Net Used: 62.458 yds

6 comments:

Cornfield Quilter said...

I absolutely love your quilt and would like to know what the name of the pattern is! I have seen it before but naturally can't recall where. I would love to give it a try. Will be watching to see how you finish yours!

Andee said...

Looks too complicated for me! I am sure it will turn out terrific!

June said...

Amy, I would also like to know the name of the pattern and where I can get the pattern..

Andee-- You could do that pattern, and it would turn out excellent too. Hey Andee if Amy will share where we can get the pattern why don't you and I try to make it??? Now that would be fun for a Saturday sew day..

Take care Amy
June

Nancy said...

THey are lovely!!! Can't wait to see them all finished.

You are really accomplishing alot this summer... keep it up!

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Cutting away or not would depend on method of quilting. Machine quilting you would not need to cut away but if you hand quilt, all that bulk is difficult to quilt through.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I generally don't cut away unless I have a lot of bulk in a particular place. It's looking great and I can't believe you're not an applique fan - you do it so well.