Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rainbow scraps; With heart quilting; blue finds

This morning, I had to finish tidying up since there were scraps strewn all over the ironing and cutting boards from last night's cleaning. I was all set to work on yellow, but once the tidying and cutting and trimming was through, I really didn't have many yellow "scraps." I have some yellow fabrics, but no scraps, so I'll have to put yellow aside for now. Instead, I had a pile of oranges, browns and pinks, so those were made up.

The next few hours were used to prepare a backing for With Heart, loading it to the frame and almost half of the quilting has been completed.


Last night while sitting with my feet up, thumbing through my stack of quilting magazines, this pattern caught my eye. I knew I had some left over fabric from Hostess with Heart, so when I took a break from the quilting frame, I searched through my shelves to see what I had that could work. I am/was mostly set with all the farbics, but the blues were hard to come by in my stash. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to sift through another box of donations from my mother last summer (or was it the summer before???) Anyway, another box emptied and another partial box restacked, ready for re-donation (NOTHING quilt-worthy). However, a blue caught my eye, so I pulled it out, and LOOK!.....

All these pre-cut, pre-sewn pieces were folded up in the fabrics, all set to be made into some hour-glass blocks. I'll have to play with those later on.....

Time to prepare dinner; BBQ ribs have been cooking at 225 for the last three hours (the last hour with sauce) and milk-rice needs to be made (one of my favorite 'german' sidedishes).

Happy Saturday

5 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love when I am flipping through boxes or piles and I find the unexpected! Woo Hoo. Ok, my husband is half german, grew up eating german food all the time, so I asked him what milk rice is......he hasn't a clue, never heard of it.......so what is it???

scraphappy said...

Happy blocks! Glad you had some fun with your scraps. Love the look of the new quilt. What a treat to be able to start something new.

Jane said...

I don't have any yellow to play with this month either, it seems realy strange, but there is plenty else to do. Looks like the clearing out is coming up trumps

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

My heavens - when you are not teaching and coaching full speed ahead you are quilting full speed ahead!! I love all the things you have been working on this last week! The color blocks are great- I LOVE that idea!!!!

Tiffaney said...

I love these scrappy blocks. I think I need to get brave and make a scappy quilt.