The Rolling Star pattern is in the September 2005 Quilter's Newsletter. I searched and searched and can't find any back issue links to share with you for those interested in having the pattern/magazine :0( I have no problem scanning in the few pages I have and sharing them, but.....I don't want to hinder and violate any copyright laws.
Through my googling, I came across Lee Fowler's website; she is the quilt maker and she has an email link. Maybe that is a place to start????
When I worked on the blocks this morning, I grabbed the camera to give a step-by-step of how I have been appliqueing these onto the foundation fabric (NOT following the pattern's suggested method)
When I traced these pieces out back in 2007, I marked the 1/4 sewing line because (at the time) I wasn't sure if I was going to hand-piece the blocks as suggested by the pattern. OMGoodness! It's already nearing FOUR years; I can't imagine how long this would have taken me if I was to HAND-piece.
Using the washable (purple-fade-away) Elmer's gluestick, I just dab-dab-dab away along the seam.
And then fold over the seam allowance. My hands get a bit goo'd up, but I keep a small damp rag nearby to clean off my hands as needed.
I usually take my glued-folded-seams block to the ironing board and press from the right side. And once I center it onto the foundation fabric, I put a dab of glue onto it as well, to keep the pieces together. NO PINNING FOR ME.
My PRIZED possession since the summer of 2008 (HEY, I should check out when my machine arrived! I must be nearing the 3rd anniversary!).....anyway......since the summer of 2008, I have been piecing solely with my Bernina 440, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. When I took a machine for a test-drive before buying, the shop owner walked me through some different tricks-n-tips. Here is one she shared using Foot #20 and the Blanket stitch (#45). Move the needle all the way to the right; the inner-right-edge of the foot then becomes a guide for the applique unit. The programmed stitch-width for the blanket stitch is a bit too small for me, so I increased it to 2.9; FYI.
ALLLLL thirteen blocks have now been appliqued. DUH! Didn't even think of taking a picture of them. I think that's because I jumped right into the next step, which is making the sashing units and the 9-patch corner stones.
I dug through my 1.5" scrap bin to see what I may still have hiding in there of Grandma's ol' vintage 80's fabrics.
When those run out, this is what I have remaining of her fabrics; plenty to finish the sashing and outer border.