Tuesday, June 15, 2010

4:08 AM - I stopped fighting it...; BOM layouts....

...I think I'm coming down with a summer sinus bug; my nose has been running for the past 20 minutes or so; some loud thunder-boomers just rolled through....I told myself I would give myself until 4:00 to see if I would fall back to sleep....

Well---I think my morning has arrived. Again, I don't know if it's the Predinsone or other factors, but this is SO UNLIKE me! I guess I'll go putz with my BOM designs.......



4:56 AM update
I don't have any lovely design software, although I have contemplated and contemplated the purchase of some... Until (if ever) that day arrives, I rely on hand drawing on graph paper or using the limited capabilities of Excel....

I started by just testing out using all 30 blocks that I'll have upon the completion of the BOM in a 5x6 layout, but I think that'll end up being quite large. According to the QOVF "overview" website, "Finished size should be no smaller than 55" by 65" or larger than 72" by 90". I would be right at the largest recommended size without any borders; and QUITE BORING, don'tcha think???

Then I sized it down and only used 13 blocks.....which would give a quilt roughly 60"x84".
..then tinkered some more and got a larger quilt again using 17 blocks....roughly 72"x88". BIG, but "funner" than the 5x6 layout.

So if I do the math, 13 + 17 = 30! If I make both the 13-block and 17-block layout, I will have used all 30 BOMs! I'm kinda liking the non-linearness (yet still linear) pattern of the off-center rows.....

Out-of-order-UPDATE: 6:42 AM
Looking at the 17-block layout more-n-more.....I think I REALLLLLY like it; which means I may need to cough out 4 more blocks at the end of this BOM to make TWO of the 17-block layouts........

{{Gosh, today is only the 15th, but I've already posted 24 times this month! I think that's a new record!}}

6:06 AM update
Yup....facelifted. I jumped on board with a few others that have given their blogs a rejuvination :0)

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I like the new look. I'm quite profligate I think, I keep changing my blog every time I'm a bit bored, or we change the season, or I see another one that I like or ... or...

Jane said...

Waking up at that time gets a lot done in a day, but I don't recommend it on a regular basis. I am going through a sleeping mode, so not waking up until 6, lol. Can't wait to see the finished quilts

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Holy Buckets you have a lot of energy!!! I love the lay outs of your BOM quilts. Those will be nice.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the face lift! Now I might have to do the same :)

scraphappy said...

The blog facelift seems to be catching. Great new look.
I like both the 13 and 17 block layout for the BOM. 30 blocks seems like enough and then they wouldn't both be the same.
24 posts already! Summer vacation is so much funner than the school year. Of course if it were like this all the time we'd be bored with it and wouldn't get nearly so much done.

Laurel said...

Amy, you might want to think about putting your BOM's on point. That might be a way to use an odd number of blocks.

I started Jared, too. But I'm not nearly far along as you are; just have 21 of the 9 patch corners done. Tonight I'll do the star. Then when I have these 5 blocks done I can decide if I want to continue and make more (for a bigger quilt).